De-cat & Flash

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Joe99, May 31, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joe99

Joe99 Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Oxford-ish
    Evening all

Looking to decat my 17 Speedy.
    Pipe sorted but not sure weather to add a PC5 or go for a ecu flash.
    Anyone done much tuning wise? Doesn’t seem to be the norm on these here triumphs
    Used JHS racing in Bristol for my Blade dyno work & very pleased.

2. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Joe99

Joe99 Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Oxford-ish
    I have seen some bits that are impressive with HillTop but I have heard a couple of strange issues so made me wonder

4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    What issues have you heard, I’ve got the hilltop map and so have many others.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joe99

Joe99 Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Oxford-ish
    Nothing specific that’s why I’m open to find out facts.
    Read some good stuff & seen the set up & looks impressive.

What kind of increases did you get?

6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    There’s a thread somewhere with before and after dyno graphs, search for Hilltop. Basically the top end is pretty strong so the gains are low down and midrange and the pick up from a closed throttle is vastly improved. I posted my Ecu to them so I didn’t have any dyno time, but my arse dyno tells me it’s much better up to 7000 rpm. It’s slightly better on fuel consumption too, not that I bother too much about that, using less fuel than my mate on his 2013 Speed Triple on a trip into Belgium last year. Is it £300 better, that’s open for debate but I’d had some tax back from HMRC so they paid for it really. :joy:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Joe99

Joe99 Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Oxford-ish
    Sounds like the type of tune required.
    More a case of good fueling & safe engine A/F ratio to match up some hardware. I’ve just not seen any dyno tuning throw up so much debate. But to be honest can’t see many facts that back up the down sides.

Email sent to HillTop in the mean time

Cheers chaps.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    I spoke to a very sceptical tuning guy who said if you can alter the ECU why is there only one guy in the world who can do it .... ? He also said it's easy to do a dyno run at 90% throttle then another at 100% and hey presto it's tuned ... I am not sure either way . I guess the best check is to run on an independent dyno before and after for conclusive proof. Though at the end of the day if you pay your money and it feels better it's a success ..

• Like Like x 1
  9. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    I spoke to a very sceptical tuning guy who said if you can alter the ECU why is there only one guy in the world who can do it .... ? He also said it's easy to do a dyno run at 90% throttle then another at 100% and hey presto it's tuned ... I am not sure either way . I guess the best check is to run on an independent dyno before and after for conclusive proof. Though at the end of the day if you pay your money and it feels better it's a success ..

10. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    a 90% dyno run won’t affect the low rev range readings, which i where the big gains seem to come with the Hilltop software.
    Will correct the Euro emissions requirements and rich furling at rpm where noise tests are done, same thing a PC5 and custom map will do but it’s seems about £200 cheaper going the Hilltop route. Only downside is you can’t remove and sell it when you sell the bike, unless buyer wants to swap ECUs.
    The power on Mr Ts RS was about the same above 7,000rpm but gained loads below.
    I’ll upload dyno sheet in a few min.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Joe99

Joe99 Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Oxford-ish

Oooo that is sceptical!!!

I will do some digging & keep all updated

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    • Like Like x 2
  13. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Joe99

Joe99 Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Oxford-ish
    Got that with my blade at 165 whp

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    I’ve just got round to blocking off my SAI as i’ve a decat low boy full system, all you need is a normal sized marble, lift up tank and SAI valve is on back of air box on left side. Slide the clip down and pull off the pipe and remove the clip, then push marble down the hose, replace the clip and push back on.
    Been for a spin and it’s stopped all my popping above 5,000rpm.
    I was going to get block off plates and switch off SAI valve with TuneECU, but this way was far cheaper, marble was 20p at a charity shop.

16. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Thanks for appreciating my curve :eek:

I only have good things to say about Geoff at Hilltop...and yes, it all does seem to be too good to be true, but it honestly feels fantastic. Very responsive, smooth and torquey. Remember that the bad 'before' curve was caused by my stubby AR exhaust - which is what I went to get fixed. And fixed it was :p

It's here if it helps:

ST3_Dyno_Results_Edit.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Thank f*** for that...riding behind you was an impression of what the Blitz must have been like :joy:

18. Joe99

Joe99 Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Oxford-ish
    Why would you want to stop it popping???

Did the popping increase with a decat?

19. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    And here's a copy of my post...maybe it helps to explain how it works (assuming I understood what Geoff was telling me) o_O

It isn't a 'map' - if I've got this right (doing my best here), it uses the existing O2 sensors to measure the exhaust gas temperature, and his firmware (which sits on unused space on the ECU's processor) reads the inputs and hijacks the outputs to make the fuel adjustments...which I think explains why you can mess with the hardware set up and it adapts to what it finds.

Nothing changes with your rain, road, sport modes etc (other than he said that rain mode would be more punchy, so take care).

Also, it can't be overwritten, because the firmware sits on a separate partition, in an area that Triumph won't be able to access. So Triumph updates aren't a problem.

He also said that if anyone tries to access the partition, the Hilltop software deletes itself instantly. He appears to have made every effort to safeguard his intellectual property rights.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    It was a popping a lot, but still does I below 5,000 rpm.
    The bike had the full Arrow system fitted when it was new, and I'm the 4th owner.

21. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    It was a bit much wasn't it!

• Like Like x 2
  22. Joe99

Joe99 Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Oxford-ish
    Do you recon I could run mine de-cat with twin SC under seats on the Arrow mapping?