De-cat And /or Short Tors

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Bigtwinthing, Jan 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bigtwinthing

Bigtwinthing Member

Jan 14, 2018
    New Forest.
    So My Short Tors have arrived today. I also have the De-cat pipes. Do i fit both? (Ive been told you lose a bit of low down grunt doing this), so do I fit the short Tors with the Cat still on. What are your thoughts please Guys. I am aching to try something lol.

2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #2 TEZ 217, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Would be very easy to remove pipes and fit short Tors and run the bike for a day out just to see, But you would still wonder how better it would sound and feel with the cat removed as well, So you would have to end up removing the cat just to settle your curiosity.
    So with that in mind My advice is do them both, :cool: heard some good things about the change in exhaust sound and not too much complaint regards bad running :D
    I have the elbows just waiting for some better days to spend in my garage doing the job (less than 2hrs) I already have the short Tors and it sounds good but not as grundy and poppy as I would like,
    With that in mind I have just purchased and received the lifting kit from https://www.on-bike.com/ which will allow me to lift the bike and gain great access.
    (not my bike but gives an idea as to Easirizer Big Blue Professional bike lift)
    [​IMG]
    PS - More info here -
    https://williamfaulkner.co.uk/2013/07/triumph-thunderbird-cat-bypass-pipes/
    GO FOR THE DOUBLE WAMMY, !!!!
    NOWT SPOILING IF TO LOUD OR TO LUMPY STICK IT BACK ON :p:p

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bigtwinthing

Bigtwinthing Member

Jan 14, 2018
    New Forest.
    That bike lift is awesome. I will be getting one. On another note has anybody any ideas on how to lock the Triumph panniers? I was thinking of a cable over the top etc with a loop at either end of the bag, just to stop anybody just casually lifting them up and being nosey. I do appreciate that somebody could just rip them open, a deterrent really. Any thoughts?

4. Bigtwinthing

Bigtwinthing Member

Jan 14, 2018
    New Forest.
    Bike lift ordered, iam looking at a way to lock the panniers. hopefully lots of trips out this year. I still don't know how to remove the quick release screen, lol maybe pulling when i should be pushing!!!

5. Bigtwinthing

Bigtwinthing Member

Jan 14, 2018
    New Forest.
    wow the bike lift is awesome, built is 30 mins and fits like a glove.so easy to work on and clean the bike. position and do up 2 bolts, lift up, so simple and very well made. piccy to follow on saturday

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #6 TEZ 217, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Wow ya dont mess about fella. Got mine and just got brackets as mentioned but not used as yet, I'm curious did you follow the sizes given by on-bike regards bracket lifting points ? if so was all ok ? seems it was
    reason for asking is have you seen this that gives different lifting position and instructions ? take a look and let me know please

Look forward to your pictures :cool::cool:

7. Bigtwinthing

Bigtwinthing Member

Jan 14, 2018
    New Forest.
    ive done my own measurement s after locating it etc, ive made some rubber washers to protect the bike a bit better. It is a superb lift. Cans and cat all coming off this weekend. Suspension will be greased up and Calipers stripped and cleaned. I need to polish up the cans a bit, they have a few scratches where then Covers have been fitted badly. and! dry Sunday so a blast too. Roll on Spring. Booked a week in Cornwall in Sept too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bigtwinthing

Bigtwinthing Member

Jan 14, 2018
    New Forest.
    wow easy task with the new lift, its superb to use, Removing the cat took 30 mins only, polished the cans up, fitted the links, and the Short Tors back on, covers fitted and run up for 12 mins, bloody hell idle is a deep growl, after the 12 mins, quick blip and jeepers its loud. I will be out on it tomorrow first thing to see how its rides. Its gonna be loud i think.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Loud is good :cool:

10. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Great job but No pictures Booooo
    Ok question for you based on your cat removal, As said I just got the lift brackets and after wrestling the lift in the exact position bike is lifted and ready to go, but on checking the position of sump pad location its sits on the rear part of sump nice and central but the bracket extends to also sit on the cat, Did this cause you any issues at all, ? was it still easy to remove the cat with this in this position ?
    judging from the time it took you all was ok, but be good to get an answer to my questions,
    When you fitted your 45 degree elbows did you cut some from one end ?

11. Bigtwinthing

Bigtwinthing Member

Jan 14, 2018
    New Forest.
    i used some string with a nut bluetack onto bolt hole and drop down. measure to back of sump, looseley position brackets. Thick rubber mat under sump plate and locate. Place the bolts thread out through the holes on the block. Slide the plates on, loosely do the nuts. Frame under and jack up until 1 bolt lines up. Bolt in, raise up straitening the bike. Second bolt in. Lift up and tighten the bolts. Raise right up. Enough room to wiggle Cat off as the rubber lifts is an extra 10mm. Lower down after the job and Plates remain where they are. easy peasy lemon squeezy. I measured the pipes before i took the cat off, as its easy with the covers off. Long ends into downpipes and hang exhaust and measure the gap, 1 cut, file up and insert. run for 12 mins feckin, awesome sound. Roadtest tomorrow. yahoody, can't wait.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Well I de-catted my Thunderbird today :cool: Must say not as fast as Bigtwinthing but very easy, hardest thing was freeing the cat and being able to release it thanks to the new bike lift holding it tight,:mad: gotta say the 10mm piece of rubber you added to the bottom of the sump lift part was rather fortunate and good thinking Sir, :cool:that would have made things much easier :):)
    But got there much easier on the lift and lifts it about 3ft high with both wheels free :grinning:
    Took it for a wee spin and christ what a delightful noise :laughing::laughing::laughing: If loud pipes saves lives then I'm the fourth emergency service,:eek: cos it gives you more than a hint I'm coming and would definitely move you back from the kerbside even if frozen with fear :poop::poop:
    BRING IT ON ME SAYS, GIVES YOU ONE HELL OF A LIFT FOLLOWING WHAT I FEEL HAS BEEN ONE HELL OF A LONG WINTER :mad::mad:
    Especially following two bouts and over 2months of this man flu, feckin thing should have stayed in Australia.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Said it before and I’ll say it again...
    ...LOUD is good :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bigtwinthing

Bigtwinthing Member

Jan 14, 2018
    New Forest.
    Yep loud but amazing, the bike whopped up to a ton in perfect harmony with the monstrous noise..Very happy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gaz477

Gaz477 Member

Jun 29, 2016
    scotland
    I fitted short Tors with straight through pipes , great exhaust note and no loss of power

• Agree Agree x 1