Daytona 955i Engine Removal

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Uncorrugated, Mar 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    I finally decided it was time to get in the garage and drop the engine from my 2004 955i to have look and see if the gearbox is worth rebuilding or whether I source a replacement engine

And I can't get the bugger out.

I've stripped bodywork, tank etc. Disconnected the wiring loom and injector rail, removed earting straps and anything else I could see attached and then loosened off the swinging arm bolts and removed the 10 engine mounting bolts.
    I can get the front of the engine to drop an inch or so until the cam cover catches the frame mounts, but cannot seen to get any movement at the rear of the engine to drop it down and out.

What am I missing? (apart from a full set of brain cells - that goes without saying!)

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Loosen off all the bolts at the rear of the engine through the frame and engine mounts, and make sure the engine is supported as it may drop suddenly.

Don't Ask how I know ...............

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Uncorrugated

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    I have a pair of old sofa cusions under the engine so it can only drop about 3" before landing. I wish it would drop suddenly - it's soaked in WD40, all the bolts are out, but it doesn't want to budge.
    I'll give it a spray every night this week and have another go on Saturday.

4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Maybe the bike was dropped?

5. Uncorrugated

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    No idea. Very clean and tidy bike with no tell-tale scuffs or damage anywhere else and not on the register, but you never know.

It runs well in a straight line, but apart from the 180 at the end of the strip, I haven't tried cornering on it!

6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    So no luck yet?

7. Uncorrugated

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    Only just back in from work, so haven't been to look yet.
    Probably won't get up there again till the weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Uncorrugated

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    Eurika.

The spray of WD40 every night has done the job. Took the bolts out of the front mounts, gave the engine a little leverage from the rear and it dropped gently onto the 2 packs of Halford's floor mats placed underneath.

Blinking 'eck - it's bloody heavy, but it's up on the workbench ready to strip.

• Like Like x 6