Daytona 955 Higher output engines

Discussion in 'Daytona' started by zebomoto, Jul 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. zebomoto

zebomoto New Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Hi can anyone tell me what the engine Nos.are of the higher output 130ps motors that were fitted to the Daytonas and to the later Sprint rs.?The Daytona crankcases were silver and the later Sprint RS were black.Any other differences?Would a 130 Daytona engine fit the Rs ok?I
    A piston has gone in my RS.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    John

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    As far as I am aware, a 955i engine is a 955i engine, externally at least. Internally, all sorts of differences will be hiding within for your delectation.:)
    Can't remember just when the engine got its full fat 147bhp, but my 2002 Daytona CE had it!!:eek::cool:
    If you go for a different variety of 955i engine, don't forget all the many ancillary bits and pieces that need to go with it in order for it to do its own thing - ecu and throttle bodies plus other things that are way, way beyond me.:confused: I still yearn for points and condensers and the like (but not magnetos - never had the pleasure don'tcha know!).:p

3. zebomoto

zebomoto New Member

Oct 15, 2014
    \\\\\\\\\cheers Steve.
    Its just that i thought that i might as well get a higher output motor sling it in and see how she runs and then upgrade as i go along.
    There is a 147bhp for sale on flee bay at the moment if the engine nos. tally up.It certainly looks the same as my Cafe Racer motor which is a 2002 Daytona.Silver crankcases and cylinder.The no. on my Cafe Racer engine is V223266.The one on E bay is V191611.Can you tell me what the No. is on your Engine please?.
    John.

20160611_110509.jpg

4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Sorry, but I sold the Daytona a couple of years ago shortly after I became ill. However, I do believe that the 147bhp engine arrived on the scene around about 2000/2001, possibly even earlier (but not much).
    That engine was an absolute 'peach', and I bitterly regret having to sell it, but as my 'old faithful' Trident 900 is VERY underused at the moment, it obviously made sense.:(
    I think that a call to a friendly dealer would confirm the state of tune of the engine you are looking at, the difference between yours and the 'new' one is 31,655 over possibly 3 model years, which may be enough to put it in the 'full fat' category. Triumph themselves may also be able to help.
    I do like your bike, though!:):)

Just looked up the Daytona 955i on Wikipedia and they seem to think the 147bhp (they quote 149bhp) was introduced in 2001. I thought that there was a cross over period where the 595 shape got the more powerful motor, shortly before the facelift. I have been known to be wrong though.o_O