Daytona 675 Rear Tyre

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by keith tookey, Jun 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. keith tookey

keith tookey Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Brighton
    A sunny afternoon to you all
    A quick question or 2
    I’ve a Daytona 675 the rear tyre is looking a bit tired
    1 what’s best
    2 the front tyre is good so do I need to replace the tyres as a pair If I don’t have too do I have to put the same rear tyre as before so the front and rear match brand and model of tyre or can I put a different rear on
    At the moment there Dunlop’s but I’ve read good things about the Bridgestones
    Many thanks
    Be safe

30497E8C-54BD-4918-ADE7-D7FE4FC31B21.jpeg

9386B9CC-FE7E-409C-A305-3E6EEB9BA209.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. keith tookey

keith tookey Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Brighton
    I do ride it hard sometimes depends on what the wife was like that morning and yea I was hoping that it would last a little longer
    I have noticed a small piece of metal in it but I’m not sure weather it’s just been picked up while the rubber was hot or if it’s stuck in but I’ve had any tyre pressure issues so not to worried
    Thank you
    Would you recommend when I do change it to stick with the same brand front and rear

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    You can mix the brands but not the recommended thing to do.
    If you stick with the same size and profile you won’t notice much difference.

However new front and rear makes the bike feel like a different beast altogether, sooo nice

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I for one am not too concerned with matching tyre's, but saying that, I would stick to same brand front and rear generally.
    If you do just swap the rear, make sure it is not a higher spec tyre than the front. I am currently running a Michelin RS (sport) tyre on the front and a Michelin Pilot Road 5 (sports touring) on the rear. I had to swap the rear whilst away on a trip and the RS on the rear only lasted 1500 miles, so I went PR5 on the rear. As the front RS is a higher spec, this is not a problem, but I wouldn't run an RS rear and PR5 front.
    What Dunlop do you have on the front and what age is it? To age look for four digit number to give week and year of production. If it is an old tyre, maybe time for a new pair.

Of the newest tyres, it only Michelin I've run. The RS for ultimate grip , but PR5's for wet weather and mileage, grip good, but not as good as RS. Depends what mileage your looking for and what you want from a tyre.

New pair of tyres is soooo nice. If you can afford it, get a pair of the latest rubber. Tyre tech advanvce's so fast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    metzler m7rr all the way

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I’ve ridden on most modern rubber and really haven’t found any that are bad.
    If you’re going to ride only on road go for a sports touring tyre like a Pirelli Diablo Rosso or if you’re going to do trackdays go for a super sport type tyre again I’m saying the Pirelli brand but that’s not saying others are bad, supercorsa sp don’t go for any race versions of the same tyre as the heat range won’t be achieved on the road, and the race spec sc1,2,3 won’t last long on track either.
    Look at the tyre profiles round edge to edge turn in slower but give a nice progression and steady feel
    Egg shaped profile turn in and drop quickly with a loose twitchy unstable straight line feel.
    Pick whatever suits your riding style and abilities rather than what other people tell you that works, only because bike feel for one person is completely different to another’s

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hey Keith.

I'll add my two penn'orth here - but it is only my opinion so it's offered with the caveat that Dozer's Dad is ABSOLUTELY right about opinions being like arseholes, and that everyone's got one! I'd just add that most of 'em stink, mine included. :D

That said, the original question (or 2) was always going to be a 'how long is a piece of string?' insomuch as it begs so many further questions before a meaningful (not necessarily correct) answer can be conclusive. Some of those questions have already been furnished in other replies but, if I may, I'll add some more to the mix?

What kind of riding do you do? Style? Distance? Nature of your mileage - commuting, pleasure, tours, track, sports, etc? How much do you want to pay? What kind of wear do you want or expect? And, of course, the inevitable ...... what, if any, is your budget?

For the price of a single sports-oriented rear you could quite easily purchase a pair of AVON's finest :-

https://www.motorcycletyresandacces...6w.html?search_query=avon+xm+pair&results=543

I'm not sure that they are the correct sizes for the Daytona, you'd need to check. I've just bought a pair of the STORM 3D XM's for my Street Triple for less than £150 delivered from Stickystuff tyres via ebay, and find that they're exactly the same size as for my Mark One Speeds so I'm about to order another two sets and maybe a couple of additional rears.

All of which begs further questions - are you seeking a comprehensive ride-in ride-out service or are you prepared and equipped to take the wheel(s) off and hawk them down to your local motorcycle shop with your purchased tyres to get them fitted to loose wheels? And, perhaps, suffer the silent, sullen rebuke from the shop which is not getting the profit from the tyre sale in the first place!

I'd defy anyone to tell you "what's best" - that's something that, really, only YOU can answer and is so heavily dependant on the answers to some or all of the many questions that your original post has raised.

For me - and I'll happily admit a 100%, cast iron, unashamed bias here - it will always and only ever be AVON tyres for my bikes (unless Avon don't do the tyres I need) as it's a West Country company that still manufactures tyres right here in Britain, and I have, personally, always found them to be adequate for my riding use. Sure, I might get better, ride better and be better on some 'other' (lesser? :)) make but I'm confident and happy to stick (pun intended - unlike the "tired" in the OP? :p) with the AVONs, save some money for fuel for the next ride and know I'm supporting a local company. Your Mileage May Vary, as they used to say .... and to employ yet another groan-worthy pun.

Best of luck with whatever you choose - ride safe.

Regards,

Adie

• Like Like x 3