Daytona 675 2014 Won't Start After Filling Up With Fuel

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Michelle, May 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Hi,
    The last two times I have filled up with fuel my bike won't start? It makes a clicking sound and wants to start but just doesn't takes me awhile of sitting there anxious and frustrated and trying it until it eventually starts..
    I have no trouble with it any other time it starts always straight away.
    Does anyone know what is causing this to happen as I'm out on my own most of the time and I don't want to get stranded..

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Starting System Symptoms:

Weak battery symptoms:
    -- Slow cranking.
    -- Stops cranking suddenly on compression stroke with button pressed.
    -- Starts when starter button is released at end of cranking.
    Repair:
    -- Charge/Test/Replace battery.
    Failure Modes:
    -- Loss of capacity. Appears to charge, voltage good but no reserve for starting.
    -- Won't hold a charge.
    -- Low voltage/cell failure.
    Preventative Maintenance:
    -- Check fluid levels regularly
    -- Maintain full charge: Regular riding, trickle charger.

Ignition Coil failure symptoms:
    -- Hard starting/misfiring during cranking.
    -- Rough idle that can't be tuned out with carb adjustments and carb cleaning.
    -- Idle misfire clears with new sparkplugs, returns in a few hundred miles
    Repair:
    -- Replace: Preferably with Nology for higher reliability than stock Gill coils.
    Failure Mode:
    -- Shorted turns in secondary resulting in weak spark.
    -- None
    Testing:

Pickup Coil failure symptoms:
    -- No spark at all
    -- Spark quits with engine hot, returns when engine cool.
    -- Note: Pickup coil failure is total. There is no random misfire spark loss.
    Repair:
    -- Replace pickup coil
    Failure mode:
    -- Thermal intermittant with long (15-30 minute) period.
    -- None. Get a spare.
    Testing:
    -- Ohms checks hot and cold.

Worn starter symptoms:
    -- Sometimes won't crank until the bike is rocked in gear.
    -- Excessively noisy cranking with a grinding sound.
    -- Click from under seat but no cranking.
    Failure Mode:
    -- Brush wear progressing to commutator damage.
    -- Bearing failure related to brush wear.
    Repair:
    -- Rebuild or replace.
    -- Maintain battery in peak condition.
    -- Follow proper starting procedures. Neutral, clutch in.
    -- Crank 5-10 seconds at a time max., switch off for twice as long before cranking again.

Worn sprag clutch symptoms:
    -- Very loud rattling when cranking
    -- Starter spins but engine doesn't turn
    Falure Mode:
    -- Breakage
    Repair:
    -- Replace sprag clutch
    -- Maintain battery in peak condition.
    -- Follow proper starting procedures. Neutral, clutch in.

Worn starter solenoid:
    -- Click from under seat but no cranking.
    -- Won't crank after rocking bike.
    -- Starter continues to run after bike starts and won't stop until the battery is disconnected.
    Failure mode:
    -- Internal contact damage resulting in non-conduction.
    -- Internal contact damage resulting in contacts welding shut.
    -- Internal damage/wear prevents solenoid core movement.
    -- None.
    Repair:
    -- Replace starter solenoid.
    Testing:
    -- For no cranking, short across solenoid high-power terminals. Normal operation denotes failed solenoid contacts.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I have carefully read your post but your description is a bit ambiguous.....
    Makes a clicking sound....once, twice repeatedly? Can you identify the source of the clicking?
    Wants to start......does the engine actually turn over? (Machinery doesn’t have feelings!)
    You associate it with refuelling but could that be because the engine was hot and then has time to cool? Is it otherwise a good hot starter?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    #4 MickEng, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
    It sounds like the electronic management system may be taking too long to re-set itself which can be most annoying.
    Are you sure this is only happening when you re-fuel ? I think that is more by coincidence.
    Try stopping and starting the engine under normal conditions just to check it out.
    Have your battery checked, a slight drop in charge can give a similar 'click' when trying to start.
    Electrical connections at the battery and starter are always worth checking.
    Sticking solenoid

5. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Yes it is definately only when I refuel for the last two times. It always starts every other time when im not riding it is always on trickle charge so im sure its not the battery. The clicking noise is me attempting to start my bike its just the starter button normal sound but after the clicking usually the bike will start but this time the bike makes a grunting sound and doesnt turn on. After some time and perseverance it finally turned on This time took a bit longer than the first time?
    Thanks for the help so far everyone

6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #6 Sprinter, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
    What DD said plus could be weight of fuel pushing tank down on a connection, breather, wire.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Hahaha! Great clip and thank you for the warm welcome as i really am a noob for even this! Lol
    Thank you for the info i will definately try opening the cap next time i fill up so my question then would be if that works then what is the problem to cause that?
    Thanks in advance

8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Of course I know bikes have feelings and, indeed, personalities. I just didn’t want Michelle fretting she had bought a misogynist. :(

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    9 times out of 10. These issues are related to a deteriorating battery

10. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    9 times out of 10. These issues are related to a deteriorating battery

11. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    I'm not familiar with your particular bike, and you certainly do have an unusual problem. However, Sprinter's comment made me think of something I saw in one of my Triumph service manuals. It's under the section on diagnosing Starting Circuit problems. "On all new models from Daytona 675 onwards, which use a CAN connection between the instruments and the ECM, the engine will not crank if the instruments are disconnected." It may be that the full tank of fuel is causing a short in this circuit, or is causing a loose connector (?) to temporarily separate. Removing the tank and tracing this circuit to check the wires/connections might be worth the effort before taking it to a shop. If this actually is happening, then I would think the 'real culprit' would be loose or missing bolts/nuts/spacers/bushings/etc. that attach the tank to the frame.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Have you had it long, or done any work recently?

13. Michelle

Michelle New Member

I bought it new 4 years ago.
    I did drop it a couple of months ago very gently at a standstill (first time) and i had to get a new fairing and the guy that fixed it did mention he might have to take the tank off to find the wiring for my indicator I will contact him and ask if he did that? Then it makes sense of what you said about the tank.. thank you all for this info it has been very very helpful for me to understand what might be happening

• Like Like x 2