Daytona 675 2007 Won't Start

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bumbertag, May 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bumbertag

bumbertag Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Selby
    So i Bought my 2007 Triumph Daytona 675 around 2-3 weeks ago, the bike has full service history checked out perfectly fine on all the checks, bought from a genuine Triumph Dealer after its 12,000 mile service and I keep having a technical gremlin poke its head out now and then.

So it all started when I took the bike to work and accidentally left the parking lights on which killed the battery. Since then I left the bike on trickle charge overnight after recovery and managed to get it going perfectly fine.

The bike was working no faults whatsoever until a big bank holiday blast out on it which then saw the rev limiter spinning around the clocks and not registering the correct RPM. Eventually when I geared down the bike died and I managed to land in a layby. Left the bike for 10 minutes and it started fine, but on the journey home the issue persisted.

The bike kept coughing and chugging not revving properly until eventually it died once again, lifted the seat up and the battery terminals had come loose. After a quick tighten up it was fine and good to go again, after around 400-500 miles the bike has been working wonderfully.

Now here is where the issue lies,after replacing the old battery with a brand new one. I was working my way back home yesterday with my girlfriend on the back which I am really not happy about being put in this circumstance due to safety. Whilst on our travels I had just filled the bike up and the fuel light came on which raised my suspicions, as I turned out of Sledmere and accelerated the bike seemed to be going okay but I began to be cautious and then as I geared for the corner the bike completely died on me mid-corner, freewheeling I managed to roll to a straight set of road.

From here the bike completely died and when I turned the key and the clocks, headlights and horn worked perfectly fine with no dimming but when trying to start the bike there was just a loud lick and no chance of bump starting after a few attempts. 3 hours later and the bike eventually was recovered and back home, left on trickle charge overnight but still nothing just a loud click.

Sorry for the essay but I felt as much information as possible would help for some diagnosis :tired_face:

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Sounds like starter is stuck, try tapping starter motor with a hard implement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    ^^Wot he said!^^:)
    Also have a look at the starter relay. Poor contacts to totally fecked, and all stations in between.
    An engine dying when hot and restarting when it's cooled down a bit is indicative of a duff cps (crank position censor).
    Sickening when your new bike starts playing silly buggers!!:mad:

4. bumbertag

Jan 21, 2018
    Selby
    UPDATE!, Left the bike on trickle charge for a few hours and it started up straight away :tired_face: I feel like this has left me in a worse position as it cannot be a dud battery as I have only just changed it.

Don't want to get the bike out, it be fine and then all of a sudden die on me again in the middle of nowhere. My only solution at the moment is to keep one battery on charge when the other is still in the bike.

5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Check the charging rate as its probably the common reg rec problem then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Not having enough volts and amps in the Battery can always cause these types of problems and a new battery is not a 100% guarantee that it is good. It's always wise to put a multi-meter on it to check the battery and to load test it if you can.

Since you hear the CLICK - after making sure that you are in neutral and the bike is secure, try to run a jumper cable from the positive terminal of the Battery to the positive terminal of the Starter Motor. If the Starter Motor turns over, you may have a loose or damaged Cable; or a bad Starter Relay, or Solenoid. If the Starter Motor does NOT turn over, you may have a bad Starter Motor.

You may also have a loose or corroded connector going to the Starter Relay, or a bad ground connection. But since you found the battery terminals were loose while riding, the constant on/off cycles might have 'fried' or damaged one of the components.

Good luck tracking down your demons and let us know what your problem is when you diagnose/fix it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bumbertag

Jan 21, 2018
    Selby
    Update 2.0

Contacted another local Triumph Dealer who have confirmed the bike has an oustanding recall for the Reg rec so is now booked in for the work to be done. After a phonecall with the dealership it was bought from , also a Triumph dealer they have been apologetic for this happening but it is disheartening that they have not noticed this after it just having it's 12,000 mile service.

• Like Like x 4