Daytona 600 - Tricking Noise

Discussion in 'Daytona' started by Timothy Cossa, Apr 24, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Timothy Cossa

Timothy Cossa New Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Chester, UK
    Morning all,

I'm new to Triumphs and bought myself a low miles Triumph Daytona 600, year 2003.

Last couple of mornings on the commute to work I have heard a ticking noise that seems to become more apparent when at lower rpm's, say 3,500/4,000 or slightly higher at 5,500. It seems to be related with the throttle, as if I keep the bike at a steady rpm the noise isn't so loud, if I throttle on a bit and say to go from 30mph to 40mph and move through the rpm's mentioned above the ticking noise seems to become louder. I change gear and drop the rpm's again and the noise subsides slightly.

Any ideas? Or is this normal? Maybe related to like injectors etc.
    Someone I know mention the clutch basket rattling. Tbh I'm clueless.

Any help guys would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Could it be the fuel injector solenoids?

3. Timothy Cossa

Timothy Cossa New Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Chester, UK
    I wouldn't know, I did see on another forum somewhere that injectors themselves can be noisy on certain bikes, but apparently the injectors used on the daytonas from my year of bike are like quite in comparison to some.

But then again, I could be missing what it is your getting at?

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I read that the injector solenoids can get noisy, ticking sound, my bike does it, 6,000 mile Thruxton as do others, as you asked the question about injectors I thought I'd mention them but as you've ruled that out then it isn't .
    Sorry I have no other ticking noises so can't help hopefully someone else can. You say low mileage but on a 12 year old bike that could be over 30,000 in which case you need to check service history to see whats been done. If you think its the clutch basket rattling, try the old screwdriver to ear jobby and see if the noise gets louder when you move it to that vicinity.

5. Timothy Cossa

Timothy Cossa New Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Chester, UK
    Low miles, I mean like 1,500 miles, full service MOT, guy kept bike in a heated garage for last 10 years! He MOT'd with intention of getting out on it back in 2011 and he did 50 miles then garaged it up. I think he worked away from home or something like that...and in the end he sold up as he was moving aboard.

6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    If I remember correctly, Tim's bike has done about 1,500 miles !!!!!!!!!

Hi Tim, basically your bike is not at all run-in yet. Whilst I understand you might be anxious about the noise, I have two suggestions for you :

1. Do 4,000mls then check back with the forum;

2. Buy a noisy end can !

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  7. Timothy Cossa

Timothy Cossa New Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Chester, UK
    To be completely honest, the bike is old, but it hasn't even been broken in yet. Not fully...

And to add to that, it may very well have an exhaust leak, maybe a seal has perished between manifold and engine.

Could be anything, or it could be just a noisy engine, getting it checked out next month at Woods Motorcycles in Abergele.

8. Antrats73

Antrats73 Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Hi, not sure if you sorted the issue but I had the exact same thing found a leak on the manifold put new seals in and problem solved and the ticking has gone, hope this helps.

20150620_180400.jpg