Daytona 600 Side Stand Snapped Off

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Sean Hughes, Feb 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sean Hughes

Sean Hughes New Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Belfast
    First post so go easy on me ..I have owned my Daytona 600 for over 15 years. It is in excellent condition having only done approx 14,000 miles. Last year the side stand snapped off the frame crashing to the concrete and damaging all the fairings. You can imagine how gutted I was :sob:
    I want to know has this happened to anyone else and if so how did you repair it. I did try to weld it myself with some metal epoxy (that''s the grey stuff in pics) on top but it didn't work and due to the fact I value my life and that of others am reluctant to try it again. The local Triumph dealer has said they won't weld it because they don't want to be responsible and possible liability even though I purchased the bike from them.
    I can't afford a new bike nor do I want one. This bike is perfect for me and with some great memories travelling across Europe.
    Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated.

Daytona 600 side stand broken  LLZ 9220 (1).JPG

Daytona 600 side stand broken  LLZ 9220 (2).JPG

Daytona 600 side stand broken  LLZ 9220 (3).JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sean Hughes.
    Welcome to the Family. And I have never seen that before. Really you need a coded welder if you are going to make a go of that. There are also universal side stands out there you might be able to graft something on there. But there are some smart people on here they will be along momentarily when they have had their meds.
    Ride Safe
    Joe

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    To be honest with you I would say you have two options

1 ) Buy a second hand frame and rebuild the bike into the replacement frame having first inspected the frame carefully at the side stand mount.
    Unfortunately then it will need to be re-registered etc.

OR

2 ) Strip the bike and take the frame, the broken piece of the bracket and the sidestand assembly to an engineering workshop and have them weld the bracket back together or replace it with a newly fabricated piece using the original parts as templates and welded back together by a coded welder ( most good engineering firms have several ?
    This way you keep your bike original !

There should be plenty of good engineering companies local to you

Good Luck either way

4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    A properly prepared joint TIG welded with a few additional gussets added ( no not the knickers type but bits of metal :worried:) should resolve this.
    I have the equipment and skills to do this so it's a pity your not nearer. I would certainly not consider the frame scrap as worse case scenario the remaining piece of mounting could be removed altogether and start again. Minimal disassembly will be required but things like engine should stay in to brace the frame and act as a jig.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    In my opinion, Chemical metal is certainly not suitable for a stressed component repair such as this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Sean Hughes

Sean Hughes New Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Belfast
    Thanks Joe for the welcome. Yes I have started to look at custom welding for choppers and wondering if it is possible to do the same with the Daytona 600. Cheers

7. Sean Hughes

Sean Hughes New Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Belfast
    You are absolutely right. I had tig welded it first and then for good measure applied the chemical metal to be sure to be sure. However it didn't work as you can see hence coming on here.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sean Hughes

Sean Hughes New Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Belfast

Thanks Nigel. Both very sound suggestions. I think the second way sounds better. If the coded welder believes their weld would be as strong as the original frame then I shall go with this option. I shall also explore the option of a weld on kickstand as suggested by Joe.

9. Sean Hughes

Sean Hughes New Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Belfast
    Thank you for the replies. All have been excellent suggestions. I shall let you know what route I shall take. First I need to find a decent coded welder.
    Does anyone know what the frame is made from? I am assuming it's an alloy of steel and??

10. Sean Hughes

Sean Hughes New Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Belfast
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately living in Nth Ireland with a small population spread over a fairly large area good tradesmen with skills such as welding are hard to find. I am going to take your suggestion and use it if the universal kickstand weld doesn't work. Cheers :)

11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #12 Eldon, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
    But in Northern Ireland they're all bike mad aren't they Sean, NW 200, Tandragee, etc.
    A lot of good race engines come from there so I can't believe there is no one suitable or capable of sorting you out. Ask a few race boys and I'm sure you'll find a solution ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #13 Eldon, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 2