Daytona 1200 Dreadfull Running At Low Revs

Discussion in 'Daytona' started by Marmite64, Jul 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Marmite64

Marmite64 New Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Whitley Bay
    Hi, just bought a lovely 97' 1200 Daytona from a real nice chap in Scotland, when I first rode it all was fine, rather stupidly I managed to run out of fuel in Glasgow, just managed to limp into a garage to fill up. Most of my 180 mile ride home was on motorways however as soon as I got into Newcastle the bike was virtually unridable. It's coughing and spluttering at anything under about 3000rpm. I realise this probably sounds like blocked pilot jets but hoping someone might have a miracle cure. Removing the carbs looks like a bit of a mare.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    If it's physical debris that's been sucked down into the carbs from the bottom of the tank I'm not sure a fuel system cleaner would work. However I have had some very good results from forte moto power I, my 1200 (trophy) was running bad after a few months of sitting and I tried redex fuel cleaner, it helped a lot but come winter my local mech recommended forte and after dosing the fuel and taking it out for a few mins to get it around the carbs etc, I had to adjust my idle down by 200 rpm so it had definitely made a better job than the redex I'd been using all summer. I think the forte moto power II is probably better for you. It ain't cheap though. Hope the easy fix works for you.
    Forgot to add, try one of the premium petrols as well. I used esso because it's near and doesn't contain ethanol in my area.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Marmite64

Marmite64 New Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Whitley Bay
    Ordered some "Seafoam" which appears to have good reviews, worth a shot as it'll have to be into a shop to sort due to my work commitments. Thanks for the thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Marmite64

Marmite64 New Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Whitley Bay
    Well added a bottle of "Seafoam" to the tank took the bike out for 10 miles or so, it's made a huge improvement, it's now only running badly but is rideable, probably try a longer ride over the weekend to see if I can clear everything out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Marmite64

Marmite64 New Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Whitley Bay
    Well got a price of £180 to remove and clean the carbs, so decided to have a go myself with the help of the trusty Haynes manual, fair bit of spannering but not really difficult, just time consuming. 3 out of 4 pilot jets blocked, all back together now and looking forward to the test ride tomorrow morning.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    That's great and must of been satisfying to find the blockages. Sometimes I wonder how the carbs get blocked given the fuel tank filter and the two little filters on the fuel supply T pieces. Just how does that debris get there? I understand old fuel going off and leaving a residue but that doesn't seem to be your case. Just took mine off after getting a jammed float bowl which wouldn't release and have new pilot jets ready as it has always been a very poor starter. Good luck on the test drive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    You said it old fuel and time

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Marmite64

Marmite64 New Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Whitley Bay
    Well they say pride comes before a fall....test ride this morning dreadful, no improvement at all...gutted. Booked into bike shop 20th Aug, fingers crossed they find the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Did you do the basics
    Fuel filter
    New fuel
    Air filter
    Plugs
    Timing
    Carb balance

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Marmite64

Marmite64 New Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Whitley Bay
    Update: Bike's been into the local shop, carbs have been ultra sonically cleaned and refitted and balanced, the mechanic certainly appears to know his stuff however it's beaten him, the bike exactly the same as when it went in, which is basically dreadful below 3000 rpm. At a loss! He's offered to have another look but he doesn't really know where to start. He's suggested I try and buy a second hand set of carbs.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Marmite64

Marmite64 New Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Whitley Bay
    Update: Bike's been into the local shop, carbs have been ultra sonically cleaned and refitted and balanced, the mechanic certainly appears to know his stuff however it's beaten him, the bike exactly the same as when it went in, which is basically dreadful below 3000 rpm. At a loss! He's offered to have another look but he doesn't really know where to start. He's suggested I try and buy a second hand set of carbs.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    I can't believe he would of made a total arse of the carbs if he is competent, there is so little to get wrong on them. Assuming the carbs went back in right it could be down to the crankshaft sensor, coils or HT leads, all known problem areas and non terribly expensive. I take it all fuel lines, fuel tap and fuel vents have been checked too? The fuel tap works on a vacuum (apart from prime position), have you tested the simple stuff like that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Marmite64

Marmite64 New Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Whitley Bay
    Diaphragm tap works fine, the 2 tiny filters at the end of the fuel lines are fine. I'm dropping the bike back tomorrow and he's determined to get to the bottom of it. fingers crossed. I'll post a further update when (if) it gets sorted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Personally I would have another go at the carb's, I did mine (ZX10) and it ran ok . But poor running soon returned, as I hadn't cleaned the pilot jets properly
    In the end I unblocked it with a couple of strands of speaker wire. Check the video out

• Like Like x 2
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I would check your ignition coils’ impedance. They have the same OEM Gill item as the Bonneville. My old T100 also coughed and spluttered below 3000 rpm and I did the full fuel system clean up which measurably improved things but it turned out I also had a duff ignition coil that misfired at low rpm. A PVL replacement gave instant remedy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vecchio lupo

Vecchio lupo Senior Member

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    I agree that the sudden nature of the issue and the mechanic not having luck that it might not be carbs. change those old coils and replace the 25 year old rubber intake boots (about 25 pounds) . then you have a start point. I just fought a year long battle with a sprint. It was coils and boots masquerading as carb issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Marmite64

Marmite64 New Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Whitley Bay

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Marmite64

Marmite64 New Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Whitley Bay
    Thanks for the all the helpful replies, I've discussed the issue of coils with the shop and they have ordered 2 new ones which should be fitted shortly, I post an update on progress after a decent test ride.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Marmite64

Marmite64 New Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Whitley Bay
    Update #2: Bike still in the shop however spoke to them today, the needles fitted to the carburettors would appear to be the wrong ones, he's making adjustments over the next couple of days, he thinks he's been able to get to the bottom of it, fingers crossed..

• Like Like x 3
  20. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Quite a saga, let's hope it gets sorted now :cool:

• Like Like x 1