Daytona 1000 Cooling System Experience

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Slowboy, Jul 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Slowboy

Slowboy New Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Kingsbridge
    Right then, over the last four months I have been gradually getting my new (to me) Daytona 1000 sorted. The main issue with the bike was a tendency to get very hot in traffic or after a "spirited" run. The first thing I replaced was the oil cooler, the original being totally caked up with mud and detritus. I used a 955i item as these are physically similar with a slightly different mounting arrangement. They are also £40 + VAT from Triumph at the moment. For originality fetisists the Kawasaki D1 item is exactly the same with the mounts in the right place and is available from Kawasaki for £400.
    This made no noticeable difference.
    Next I replaced the thermostat with a new one as the original was not opening fully. This also made no noticeable difference.
    Finally I replaced the radiator fan switch. This instantly cured the problem. For those of you that have cooling system issues, the above info might help.
    The fan switch obviously gets a bit tired and emotional after 25 years.
    Having also replaced the coils, the chain and sprockets and rebuilt the rear calliper, she now goes like she should and stops like she should. Just the fork seals to do now as one blew quite spectacularly last weekend on a VMCC event (that raised a few eyebrows, a 90's superbike now eligible for VMCC runs). Might do the fork bearings too while I'm in there.
    Loving it and wish I could have afforded one when they were new.

• Like Like x 4