Datatool alarm recall

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by crispey, Jan 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi All

thought this might be of interest to you

its for datatool S4 red

• Like Like x 1
  2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I must be lucky, I've never had one fail or drain a battery in all the years I've had them. :p
    The only time I've had problems was with a Meta alarm that was already fitted on a bike I bought.
    Having said that, my alarm is one of the recall ones.:confused:

Actually I tell a lie.
    When I removed a datatool alarm once (I was breaking the bike) I couldn't stop the bloody siren from going off when I disconnected it :mad:
    I ended up sticking it in a cupboard with about 5-6 heavy coats covering it to keep the noise down to a muted warble.
    It had died when I checked it about 3 days later :D

3. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Thanks for the 'heads up' on that Crispey.
    Mine is a 2012 S4 which is the year earlier than the recall date starts.
    Worth keeping an eye on though, I had read some bad reviews when I bought the bike and nearly had it removed.
    Not wanting to tempt fate it has been okay.

4. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I'm getting the flat battery issue due to all this cold weather. Keep the solar panel attached but they only maintain the charge so chuck it on the charger now and again. Anyways that's not the fault, the fact they warn you not to ride your bike sounds like it immobilises the engine at anytime, as in when your doing 7o down the motorway

5. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    My alarm is one of the duff ones. I have filled in the form on the Datatool website and am waiting for somone to contact me. My Alarm has never given me a problem so far.

6. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Hi Crispey, Guess what ! mine's also one of those on the recall list... Coincidentally, my new Optimate DC-DC charger arrived today so it might now be the case that i've just spent £58:00 on something I didn't need because the problem with the persistant flat battery was being caused by the Datatool... I too have not yet been contacted by those who sold me the bike so it will be interesting to see how this progressess & is resolved..

7. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    #7 MickEng, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Your Optimate will not be wasted Musketeer.
    It will always be there when you need it over the years.

• Like Like x 1
  8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    It won't be wasted, I have a data tool not one of the faulty ones and the battery still needs charging/maintaining.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jonesy

jonesy Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    worcestershire
    Typically I've looked on my installation certificate and no serial number has been written down, I think they just like to keep you messing around. I'll check tomorrow on the alarm its self but can guess it'll be one of the duff ones as it changes it's own mind on how it's going to set each time I turn the ignition off or press the grey button.
    BUGGER

10. jonesy

jonesy Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    worcestershire
    Yep mine's on the list, guess it's a waiting game now for scorpion to contact me. Don't think I'll hold my breath

11. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Looks like it took then 10 months or so to get the recall out by those dates.
    My 'red' was made about 10yrs prior to the problem ones, I had a lot of problems when I first got the bike in December '15, running batteries flat etc, but a lot of that was down to me not knowing how to use it or set it properly, now no problems, touch wood.

12. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Just got a reply back on mine.

I am writing to advise that we have now allocated the replacement of your Datatool alarm to a mobile installer, Safe & Sound (www.bikealarms.net), and they will be in touch shortly to arrange a visit.

As an alternative to having the alarm replaced we are offering customers an opportunity to upgrade to our Thatcham approved tracking system, TrakKING at an advantageous price. Full details on TrakKING are available here: www.trakking.net

Tracking normally retail at £179.00 plus installation which makes the average fitted price £279.00 with an annual monitoring subscription of £99 per year. The offer for customers affected by the recall campaign is a new TrakKING unit supplied and professionally installed with a 6 month monitoring subscription for just £99.00. The affected alarm system would be removed as part of the TrakKING installation process.

If you are interested in taking up the TrakKING offer please let me know and I’ll advise the installer accordingly.

Thank you in advance for your co-operation.

13. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    That doesn't sound too bad! That and an alarmed disc lock could see you sorted. It would be interesting what a tracking device would save you on your insurance.

14. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I'm in two minds, the TrakKing has GSM and GPS but no RF tracking, which some other trackers have.
    On the other hand, it's probably better than an alarm....

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Ok, so maybe I'm missing something about the deal they are offering but.....

My Datatool S4 Alarm / Immobiliser was fitted by a Triumph authorised dealer in their workshops & cost £300.00 plus installation just 4 months ago..

The deal on offer from Datatool, if accepted, takes away a £300.00 + fitting system & replaces it with a £280.00 fitted system for which you (& others) would have to pay Datatool an additional £99.00 for 6 months subscription when their normal subscription charge is £99.00 for a whole year (which you would have to pay again in 6 months time)

No offer of a full or partial refund..!!

Add to this the inconvenience of loss of use while waiting for the work to be carried out + having to be at home (possible loss of income for some) when the work is undertaken by some third party engineer, I just don't see any up side especially as the main wiring loom has to be opened up again to get the old system out .. (are they going to fit a new loom?)

As it stands, if the same offer is made to me I would argue that my motorcycle was sold to me with an inherently defective component installed by the dealership which should now be rectified / replaced by them & I would think it reasonable to be offered some level of goodwill for the loss of use and all the inconvenience.

Lastly, if I was told by the Dealer that the work had to be carried out by some third party engineer I would want written confirmation from Triumph UK that such work would not invalidate my warranty & a similar letter from my insurers to say they are content for the work to be undertaken without detriment to my policy :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Valid points you are making Musketeer, but the tracker is being offered as an alternative, I presume a new Datatool alarm would be the recall default route.

17. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Yup, you can just say no and get your alarm swapped for a new one FOC ;)
    Good point about invalidating the warranty though.:confused:
    Think I'll see if I can get my local dealer to do it though.

18. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    No luck, the local dealer is not a Datatool Tracker installer.
    I've decided just to go with the alarm swap for now as it's just a simple plug and play swap.
    I'll probably get a tracker at some point, but one with RF as well as GPS/GSM tracking.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    The alarm is being replaced on Monday :)

20. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Quarter to nine at night & I've just had a call & text message from someone named "Dave" who wanted to know when he could come to my house to replace the alarm / immobiliser. When I asked who he worked for he said he was an independent auto-electrician sub-contracted by Datatool. Told him that as my machine is only 4 months old I did not want it sorted on the side of the road by some unknown third party & would prefer it to go back to the dealer who sold to me to be fixed. As neither Datatool or Jack Lilley have responded, or even acknowledged, the e-mails I sent them last Monday, I guess I'm going to have to give them a call tomorrow to get it sorted out.. Have to say, if it wasn't for this forum, & Crispey's post in particular, I would not yet know about this recall.. :cool:

• Like Like x 1