Damp Garages

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Tigcraft, Feb 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Just a recent discovery from a conversation I had with a mate who has a rather expensive motor home. The conversation went about how he never has any humidity to worry about as his wife leaves an open container near the windows of the motor home containing just salt to keep damp at bay when it’s not being used. Hmm, I thought, I have a lot of condensation in my home workshop, the garage, over the winter months and that sounds like an interesting way and also bloody cheap way of keeping damp at bay.
    So I’m doing a test as from today I’ve put around six open containers of some free salt I acquired scattered in various areas and I’ll see how stuff does.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    But!!
    mariners used to cover pork with salt to preserve it, unless you are a porker this won't work:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Maybe this is nothing but we hold salt in bulk for obvious reasons .We find anything metal gets affected by it even when its not directly in contact with the salt.......just saying

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Using a dehumidifier is fine as it works best in warmer spaces but that means added heating costs on a daily basis. Salt is as cheap as it gets imho and needs no heat to lift the moisture from the air.

5. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Brine is or was used in the manufacturing of Calcium Chloride.

So there would be elements of salt in Calcium Chloride.

6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Andy,,, don’t forget Eric comes from Yorkshire :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    I’d rather put Sodium Chloride on my chips although Calcium Chloride is used in the food industry.

Calcium Chloride was used in the manufacturing of dry batteries, think Ever Ready torch batteries.

8. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Along these lines, if you are concerned about salt, what about the silica gel sacks like the Pingi one. Once it is spent (a spot on the bag changes colour) you microwave it. I suspect it would struggle with a whole garage, but maybe under a bike cover that goes right to the ground? They sell them for the inside of cars.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I’m sure somebody on here mentioned cat litter in old socks absorbs moisture too, just not sure what kind of cat to get :confused:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1