Damn Connector, Where Does It Go?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Munchen, Oct 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Munchen

Munchen Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Germany
    Dear Friends

Before the weekend gets started and I end up ferrying the children to football matches far and wide, wasting my precious weekend free-time, I decided to get a new air filter, fuel filter and plugs put on my Tiger tonight.

So, I left work 2 hours early. Got home in the glorious sunshine with my bike and started to carefully and methodically remove it's clothes. I didn't start this before getting No.1 son to bring me a cuppa though. You don't start a job like this without first drinking a cuppa tea, and my boys all know it.

Everything came off fine, filters and plugs installed, no problem. But just as the light was fading and I was about to put the tank back on I saw a connector - a connector to where I cannot find a home.

Could anyone here please tell me where this connector goes? It's just behind the engine block, under the fuel rail. I've looked everywhere and I just cannot find where it should go. It's like someone has put it there simply to tease and confuse me.

I've had to leave the tank off tonight until I solve this conundrum.

Please help me stay sane :)

Unknown_Connector_sm.jpg

2. Munchen

Oct 1, 2018
    Germany
    The only electrical connector on the tank is on the side, for the fuel pump. I cannot remember removing it so do you think there is a chance that it's just there for no reason?

I've not started it yet but I don't want to put the tank back before I know what it is.

It looks like a fourth fuel injector connection but I'm fairly sure it's always had 3 pots. Bloody weird isn't it?

I wasn't fully concentrating because my boy was helping and I was letting him do the easy bits.

Cheers

3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    There are connectors on these bikes that are there ( on the loom ) for other models and so dont connect to anything. It could be the same loom as the Speed Four.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Munchen

Oct 1, 2018
    Germany
    I wish I'd paid more attention, it's killing me not knowing for sure whether it was connected before or not :(

Well, if Sprinter is right, I will put it back together tomorrow and see what occurs.

Thanks for the replies Dozers Dad and Sprinter. Nice one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Munchen

Oct 1, 2018
    Germany
    Thanks. My bike an 885i and I didn't see anywhere on the tank for it to go. I'll look again tomorrow but I'm pretty sure the only electrical connector on the tank is for the fuel pump.

6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Isn’t it for the emissions control for the US market and hence not used? Looks the same as the one on my speed Triple. ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Munchen it is almost certainly part of standardised loom where not all plugs are used on all bikes. For example North American markets have anti-pollution kit that isn't fitted to European model bikes.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. NZ Westie

NZ Westie Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Waitakere, New Zealand
    Hi Munchen - I'm in agreement with others who think that this connector probably doesn't belong to anything on your bike.

All these style of automotive connectors click together and normally require pressing a tab (or possibly some fiendish wire clips) to release them. My theory would be that if it was connected to anything that you had to remove, then you'd not have been able to remove it until you'd disconnected it - it would have been like an umbilical cord.

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Modern manufacturing methods are to blame ! It's cheaper and therefore easier to use a standard wiring loom that fits many different machines than to buy and stock different looms for different machines !! So you will find 4 cylinder injection wiring on 3 cylinder machines ! My twin cylinder America has two spare plugs under the tank that go nowhere !!!! So "don't worry be happy now" stealing the words from a popular song to help pacify you !

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Munchen

Oct 1, 2018
    Germany
    You guys have been great, thanks for the feedback. If I hadn't lost the light last night I'd still be there this morning trying to find something for it to plug in to! :D

As it stands, I'll get it all put together and fire up after I get back from the football. And I will of course confirm that all is well with the old Tiger.

Then it's on to the car for an EGR and manifold clean.....:weary_face:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Munchen

Oct 1, 2018
    Germany
    All done, no leaks, smells or strange noises.

Thanks again to everyone for getting me straight with the extra connector. I should have clocked it myself but when you're talking to someone while you should be concentrating, this is what happens.

I'm well happy with this old bike, nobody who sees it can believe it's almost 19-years old.

• Like Like x 7