Featured D Day Beaches Must See

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Repooh, Jun 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Chaps and lady chaps

Pay attention I shall say zis only once.

I'm taking Edna on my first four day tour Fri-Mon to go and see where my father landed on D Day, he was in the Special Services Brigade, a sub division of the Commando's supporting the 101st, god rest his soul. Going with my two nephews, one of whom is a former Royal Marine.

For those that have been, I was wondering whats to see and what to avoid, mind boggling to think 155,000 troops were involved. Leaning towards seeing British memorials more than others.

Had a hell of a time finding a beret to fit over my crash helmet ;)

• Like Like x 13
  2. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Repooh.
    You will see a lot and everything is worth it. You know I am quite a tough cookie. But whilst I walked through the memorial garden reading the inscriptions. I found a tear in my eyes. It gets to you. And you think willingly they sacrificed their lives for our sakes.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 6
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Repooh here are some suggestions :
    1. The bridge at ouistrem, first place in France to be liberated and featured in "The longest day".
    2. Arromanches - one of the Mulberry harbour places,especially on the 6th. Watching the Vets marching and receiving applause from the French.
    3. The American cemetery next to Omaha beach. Go to the Visitors centre.

Loads more but that's off the top of my head.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Would agree on the above, for anyone who goes to the immaculate cemeteries, I would say just stand there & take in the enormity of numbers of those young men that paid the ultimate sacrifice, if you don't have a tear in your eye I'd be surprised.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    It is beyond humbling and not to be missed going to the cemetery to go with someone who was looking for people they knew way back then....

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Agree with biglad. I've done two trips now and still not seen it all, although have visited all five beaches.
    1. Pegasus Bridge at Ouistrem (and the museum is a must). While you are there, search out the Grand Bunker, just inland from the coast - captured intact by the British and now an excellent museum.
    2. Arromanche - I think that is where the 360 degree cinema is also - worth the visit.
    3. The battery at Longues sur Mer.
    4. Pointe du Hoc - see where the Rangers climbed the cliffs.
    5. Battery at Grand Camp Maisy - only recently uncovered.
    6. St Mere Eglise - bit "over American" for my taste but good Airborne museum.
    7. British cemetery at Bayeux.

Lots more and many museums I haven't visited yet. :cool: DSC_0097.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG St Mere Eglise

DSC_0020.JPG St Mere Eglis

DSCN0183.JPG

Longues Sur Mere
    DSCN0129.JPG
    The Grand Bunker DSCN0237.JPG
    Pointe du Hoc

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    Went in 2018. Superb, but found it very expensive. 8 euros a pint!!!!!

Omaha beach plus a pizza vending machine and "hairdressers"!

2DC8EA35-1F5F-4E57-BD91-2F6FCE31D9E5.jpg

B3104B9C-FA9C-4E18-B476-A6FEC9F04DED.jpg

C8A8B0BE-532F-4E99-B76F-3D49567B483E.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RobH

RobH Member

May 2, 2019
    Dunstable
    Agree with all above, been a few times over the years.
    I follow my oppo's advice, visit the smaller cemeteries too, which you see dotted round the countryside; and also walk far from the entrance gates to visit the poor buggers at the back who don't get many visitors!
    The beaches are shocking when visiting re the D Day, kids playing on the sands, rightly so, and the thought of how many men and women died so they could do that.
    FFS.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Some great options posted. As has been said you will be moved at many of the locations by what those guy's achieved..

• Like Like x 3
  10. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    +1 for the 360 degree cinema on the cliffs near Arromanches. If that doesn't tug at your heart strings then you are either well 'ard or dead! SWMBO came out of there in tears! Many of the beautifully tended war cemeteries may also have a similar effect. Enjoy your trip - I'm sure you will even if it is, or because it is, an emotional roller coaster ride.:)

• Like Like x 5
  11. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Agree with all. I was in tears. Some of the messages on the crosses tore my heart out. And the ages of those young men. God Bless them all and keep them safe in your tender hand till I get to say thank you all and I care and will never forget your sacrifice for me.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Some great advice and sentiments posted.
    I've used arromanches as a base a few times now. Added bonus of a pub that's the closest to a British one I've ever seen in France. Great atmosphere of an evening.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    As Steve said, all the cemeteries are beautifully tended but involve you in a very emotional journey.
    Omaha has (I think) around 9000 graves.(Not all D Day casualties)

DSCN0222.JPG
    The British cemetery at Bayeux has 4600, including Commonwealth and Allied graves along with about 400 German ones.

DSCN0256.JPG

The German cemetery at La Cambe (close to Omaha) has over 21000 graves (not all from D Day).

DSCN0230.JPG
    DSCN0229.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    Slight change of period, but this is my most poignant picture of the WW1 site near Verdun. Especially given one of the reasons for WW2.

IMG_0025.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I wanted to put like for the pictures. But I couldn't. My heart tells me I shouldn't like the massager of our brothers and sisters but agree that we owe them a great debt.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    #16 Aidan, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Very true. The Commonwealth grave sites are so well tended and shows the great respect that the living still have for the dead. They are so much better kept than the German ones (which, ironically, seem to be looked after by French locals). The area of Verdun has no Commonwealth grave sites (not that I found anyway) as it was a French-German battle site, but the Duomont is the large French site. They are still finding soldiers remains to this day and they are kept in the ossuary there.

The shear scale of the Commonwealth sites in Flanders are beyond belief. An incredible sacrifice.

Another couple of pictures from Normandy. One from the Omaha beach memorial and one from a German defence looking out.

9077C3EF-71A1-4E11-B498-ECA3282554C3.jpg

5987CD6D-4ABF-49A1-8BCE-46F4A0A168B8.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Chaps and Lady Chaps

Thanks for all your suggestions, Off now, let the tour begin, I'll grab a photo or two just to prove the trip took place, so proud and grateful my father returned, unlike two of his brothers and so many more.
    3 cdo.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    No 3 Commando was an Army unit. Most people associate Commandos with the RM but they came on board in 1942, well after the Army. By the war’s end there were 19 Army and 9 RM Commandos and the US Army Ranger green beret owes its origins to UK training at Achnacarry. You see quite a few RM vets with dark blue berets and red patches who were not Commando trained but conventional infantry.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Steve 998cc

Steve 998cc Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    leicestershire
    Went to the battlefields of france both world wars as a 15 year old on a school trip I'm 63 now and still remember them and the graves like it was yesterday not sure i want to go back seeing the seas of graves left a lasting impression on me

• Like Like x 1
  20. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Steve 998cc.
    Yes it does that. But we all owe them so if I am passing I always stop over. And I don't mind saying I do shed a tear. God Bless them one and all both the fallen and the ones at home.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3