Cvk Keihin Carb Lines Id??

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MPDano, Jan 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MPDano

MPDano Member

Dec 20, 2017
    San Diego, California
    Hello all,

Cleaned my jets and replaced the carb bowl gasket. I have a fuel drip coming from somewhere above the float bowl. It was gathering on one of the bracket bolts and dripping on the starter.

I removed the carbs again and couldn't find the source. Center float bowl gasket is fine and not pinched. I need help figuring out what these lines go to? The swivel on some tube going in between the carbs (like the main fuel rail line). I circled them in red. Are these some sort of drain lines or do they recirc back to the fuel tank? I can't find any unused lines in the carb area. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
    Leo 20180118_164450.jpg 20180118_164515.jpg

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Have a look at www.worldoftriumph.com in the 'parts' section. The exploded diagrams of the various carb set ups may be helpful to you. California spec and plumbing may be somewhat different to what we have over here - possibly!

3. MPDano

MPDano Member

Dec 20, 2017
    San Diego, California
    Yes, found the Cal model and it looks like they are just vent ports for the diaphragm. I got a an upper leak and I am thinking it's the seals on the fuel swivel thing or a float needle not sealing. What do you think?

I hate that I can just find a full rebuild kit for the CVK. Like I said, I am new to triple carbs.

4. MPDano

MPDano Member

Dec 20, 2017
    San Diego, California
    Went to the Triumph dealer during lunch. Tech said that possible float needle wasn't sealing, hence fuel going to the overflow (vent). Going to try that before replacing those fuel swivels, which they didn't have in stock anyways. Hopefully this resolves the leak.

5. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Its possibly the o ring around the float valve. you may have more luck at getting them from a Suzuki shop as slingshot gsxr750 used similar carb BST36 or a mukuni genuine part supplier in the US.

6. MPDano

MPDano Member

Dec 20, 2017
    San Diego, California
    Thanks for that. These are Keihin CVK carbs.

7. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    #7 t552, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    [
    Bugger forgot that.
    Kawasaki from mid 90's used keihin. That may be an option to check some of their parts. I' start with gpz900R

8. MPDano

MPDano Member

Dec 20, 2017
    San Diego, California
    Ok all. Put in a new float needle on the center carb and ran a couple lines out from the 2 vents to behind the air filter box. No leaks while running. I left the petcock on last night and got leaks in the same area again this morning.

Is this normal for it to leak if the petcock is left on for hours?

9. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    dont know if it is normal,probably not but if you left it on prime it seems to be common. did you leave the tap on the horizontal, run position because it needs the vacuum to work in that position . there is no off position so you leave it in that one. i see you only changed the one float needle, why not do all 3

10. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    If everything inside the carbs is clean, then no, you shouldn't get any leaks. My guess is that they are not as clean as you may think:(. It doesn't take much to prevent the float needle seating properly - allegedly.
    The fuel tap does not have an 'on' position which allows fuel to flow freely. If the pointy end of the tap is vertical (prime position) then, in theory, no fuel will pass until the tap is pushed in towards the tank itself. I say in theory because some say they don't need to push it in to get fuel to flow. For this very reason the tap should be left at all times in the horizontal position (pointy end towards the rear of the bike) which is the normal running position, controlled by vacuum when the engine is thrumming away gently to itself. With the engine off no fuel should be able to pass the tap unless the tap itself is faulty. Finally if the pointy end is at the bottom, this is the reserve position which is again controlled by the vacuum tap, but allows access to another (imperial) gallon or so of fuel.:)
    Please note that 'pointy end' is a technical term and as such should be treated with respect at all times!:eek:

Bugger .... beaten to the post.
    Mind you, with my typing skills ..........

11. MPDano

MPDano Member

Dec 20, 2017
    San Diego, California
    Hmm, yes confusing on the wording on the petcock valve. I am used to them saying ON-OFF-RES. According to what you are saying, there is no OFF. So the vertical postilion, say RES (reserve) will always stay open? If so, the ON position is actually closed until vacuum is applied?

I only changed 1 needle as they are $25 each. Highway robbery, lol. When a normal full carb rebuild kit is about the price, which I cannot find for the CVK.

12. MPDano

MPDano Member

Dec 20, 2017
    San Diego, California
    Hmm, yes confusing on the wording on the petcock valve. I am used to them saying ON-OFF-RES. According to what you are saying, there is no OFF. So the vertical postilion, say RES (reserve) will always stay open? If so, the ON position is actually closed until vacuum is applied?

I only changed 1 needle as they are $25 each. Highway robbery, lol. When a normal full carb rebuild kit is about the price, which I cannot find for the CVK.
    Yes, mine was left in the vertical position all night and leaked. Now I am thinking the priming mechanism is faulty and letting fuel thru all the time. Ok, let me leave the "pointy" in horizontal pointing towards the rear of the bike as this position it never leaked.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MPDano

MPDano Member

Dec 20, 2017
    San Diego, California
    Also, FYI, I didn't even know the petcock had this priming feature built into it. I really appreciate all these replies as I am learning something everyday.

• Like Like x 2
  14. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I've had my Trident for over 22 years and am still learning. New facts/hints/tips etc. keep turning up all the time. Surprised my head hasn't exploded yet!:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  15. MPDano

MPDano Member

Dec 20, 2017
    San Diego, California
    No leaks this am. I am good to go now. Thanks for the assistance!

Leo

• Like Like x 3
  16. MPDano

MPDano Member

Dec 20, 2017
    San Diego, California
    This weekend I am going to sync the carbs, then I can start putting plastics back on.

• Like Like x 2