Featured Customising Your Bike. Subjective Of Course But...

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by beerkat, Apr 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Seems like if you are younger than some undetermined age, the rear fender on your bike just MUST be missing. I'm an old guy. I don't understand ;) ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    They take off everything they can, use a hacksaw on everything else, paint what is left black, then they call it "a build" ? The 2020 boy racer syndrome :D. ...J.D.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mops

Mops New Member

Oct 15, 2019
    South Wales
    Hi Lessaint

Ive checked the Thruxton R mudguard brackets and the centre to centre hole distance, for the horizontal fixings that hold the mudguard itself to the mudguard bracket, and they are different.
    150mm (Thruxton R) Vs 85mm (Speed Twin)

The Stanchion assembly looks slightly different on the Speed Triple forks (installed on your bike?) Vs Thruxton R but both have vertical fixings for the mudguard bracket.
    See:
    https://www.worldoftriumph.com/part...triumphmc/modelid/610352/block/100073567-0-2/
    https://www.worldoftriumph.com/part...triumphmc/modelid/233370/block/100075746-0-2/
    Distance of the vertical fixing for the mudguard bracket to the stanchion assembly (centre to centre holes ) on the Thruxton R stanchion is 85mm.
    I hope this helps.
    Regards

IMG_20200408_113714.jpg

4. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    I just love all bikes..... Not bothered who owns them, live and let live I don't much care.

We're all ex bikers at the minute all we can do is go in the garage and sniff the air. :joy:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lessaint

Lessaint Noble Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Sherwood Forest North Notts

Mops tank you very much for the help, i will have a good look at it over the next few days, i am leaning towards manufacturing a couple of legs out of 2mm 304 matt finnish

• Like Like x 1
  6. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Just found this thread while looking for info on what all the ugly 'exhaust' wrap business that I see on bikes these days is about and whether I should be worried that I don't have it. I think I'm an oddball as I can't get up the energy to bother customising my bikes and they all seem splendid as they came to me. OK one of my Bonnie's has custom paint, Toga exhausts with different new jets and needles, something called a uni-flow air filter and had it's air induction system removed (No idea what that is) but that was all done by the first owner and I bought it because it was beautiful and green with pretty Union Jacks. My other Bonnie is entirely stock and my two Sprints RS's are stock apart from the exhausts. Back in the nineties I tried various of the 'performance' customisations that were around but I discovered that I was already using as much performance as I could possibly need so it was a waste. Looks wise I don't think I could improve on the way my Bonnie's rolled of the production line. As for my Sprint RS's, I love their lines although I do have a mind to get the spray gun out at some point and give them both some form of WWI Luftstreitkrafte 'Flying Circus' style paint work, possibly even including Eisernes Kreuzen :) Just for the fun of it plus I am a First World War aviation buff.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    If I had little children around, I would use exhaust wrap.
    I have it on my V8 headers for heat management (obviously not for looks).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    #48 Dartplayer, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    I love skulls, always have. From a young child they have intrigued me.
    FA45B1C0-EED5-4E40-8549-4294825D160B.jpeg
    Most crap I get is from the gold/bronze detailing on my bike to match the original Period detail. I don’t take it personally because I love it, so who cares if someone else doesn’t. Still get many admirers coming up to say how they like the look of my Triumph.
    CBCD57AE-5A1F-4C35-B84F-8E24421CE56C.jpeg
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/gallery/albums/bonneville-speedmaster-updates.548/

• Like Like x 5
  9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Didn’t realise the wrap aided gas flow, it was already fitted to the pipes on my RSVR race bike when I got it, I assumed it was to keep heat away from the rear shocker which is very close to the pipes.

10. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I'm of the 'leave it alone' school.
    I've done fair amount of ' customising' in my younger days( I once chopped a Lambretta way before this was cool...1972 if I recall) and now conclude I rarely improved a bikes appearance or functioning.
    I'm of the opinion that it's just silly to make a bike less functional than it was when it left the showroom.
    But I accept that others differ.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    I removed the rear mudguard of my BMW, but only to fit a larger one to try and reduce the amount of rubbish thrown up off the road on wet/muddy rides.

• Like Like x 2
  12. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I thought they'd banned using exhaust wrap on little children?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Used a lot on manifolds where gas flow needs to be high and consistent especially high performance turbo engines but just as good for N/A.:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Graybeard Biker

Dec 4, 2020
    New York
    I would love to see a pic of your Bike. I have never seen any bike I didn't like. I have been a BIKER for 32 yrs and I believe everyone's bike is great if that is what they like. They have to ride it not me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    There are plenty scattered about but here you go.:)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  16. Graybeard Biker

Dec 4, 2020
    New York
    That is one BEAUTIFUL bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I like that. Yes there are a few bits I'd change if it were mine, but overall it gets a thumbs up from me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1