Speedmaster Cruise Control Problem

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Pitbull, May 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pitbull

Pitbull Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

Jun 5, 2015
    Ashington
    Anyone else have a problem with the cruise control on the Speedmaster (2018 model)?

Out for a ride on Saturday and the first press of thew button enables the cruise control as usual and the icon is shown in the display.

After that 6th gear cruising along at 60 to 65 and the cruise control is very intermittent, often not engaging at all and multiple presses later it may decide to engage. Tried a number of things to cure it but nothing seemed to help, it just had a mind of its own.

Anyone else had issues with this? known problem or needs a software update maybe? need to get it in for a service soon so will have to take it up with the stealer.

2. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I've never been in 6th gear (well, think I tried it once to check it was there ;)), but I struggle with the cruise control all the time. Seems like the throttle must be open a certain amount before it will engage, but not so much that the bikes accelerating. Perhaps in 6th gear you have very low revs and low throttle opening?

I've taken to holding the button it in for a second, rather than just jabbing it, which seems to help (or possible just my imagination).

Hmm. I've just read the owners manual and under Deactivating Cruise Control one of the options is "Roll the throttle twist grip fully forward", which I assume means throttle closed. But I let the throttle close after engaging cruise control, perhaps that's why I have problems? But if that's true, why does it ever work? Time to experiment me thinks...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pitbull

Subscriber

Jun 5, 2015
    Ashington
    Have to agree, 6th is a gear that is not used that much, or if you do you find yourself changing down a lot :cool:

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Can’t help mate.... I never use mine :confused:

5. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    So user manual is talking bollocks again. Releasing throttle after engaging cruise control leaves it engaged. Opening throttle in any way afterwards cancels cruise control.

Also tried engaging cruise control at very low revs (1400) and that worked, so my theory that was an issue is wrong. It's just speed that it checks, it won't engage below 28mph (not the 19mph the manual says).

• Like Like x 1
  6. mark scarrott

mark scarrott Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2015
    burntwood
    Hi Pitbull

I had an issue with mine not long after I had it I could not turn it on then I could not turn it off.
    Spoke to Staffordshire Triumph while bike was still running.
    Did the switch off and start again and it cleared.
    I use the cruise control a lot and have not had an issue since so yes think you should call them and register the issue then get it over to them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pitbull

Subscriber

Jun 5, 2015
    Ashington
    Quick update after a ride yesterday and it seems the longer press seems to work, I do however notice that the CC does not engage until you release the button.

Seemed to come on every time yesterday so either the long press is the answer or the antics originally were a one off glitch, will keep an eye on it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I love cruise control in the car, in fact I’ve retro fitted it to a few of my old cars, but I’ve never had it on a bike. Took a new BMW out for a test ride, an S1000XR which had cruise, and I didn’t like it. I felt like I lost control when it was going on it’s own, weird!
    I suppose it’d be good for long motorway cruises but I tend to keep away from motorways if I can so it’s not really for me.
    Glad to hear you seem to have sorted the problem out anyway pitbull

• Like Like x 2