Thruxton Cruise Control On Thruxton R

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by BiKenG, Jul 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BiKenG

BiKenG Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Surrey
    I know this has been discussed but always with the uncertainty of what Triumph included in the Thruxton R’s ECU firm/software. Since most other modern Classic Twins have this built-in to utilise the Ride-By-Wire and Triumph did initially promise this for the R, many (including myself) were waiting for Triumph to produce the kit with the extra button on the LH switchgear. Well, wait no longer...

It is NOT going to happen.

Frustrated at this delay I eventually asked a friend at Triumph to confirm either way and the unequivocal response from the technical bods is that they decided there was no requirement for CC on the Thruxton R so they did NOT include the required functionality in the bike’s firmware. So in a nutshell, Triumph have ensured they will not be producing a CC accessory for this bike. That’s not to say they will never enable CC for this bike, but as of now, the current bikes will not and cannot ever get factory CC.

Personally, I think this is an utterly stupid decision on Triumph’s part. Only BMW seem to ‘get it’ that CC is not only suitable for touring (and QuickShifters are not just for sports bikes), but Triumph didn’t ask me (nor BMW, obviously ).

So there you have it. If you want CC on a Thruxton R, it’s a McCruise or use some other third party electronic controller - as I will do, having put electronic CC on other bikes in the past. I just hoped to be able to make use of a factory option this time.

I am not including throttle locks as they are NOT CC and a horrible idea in my opinion. If you like them, fine, but I think they’re a terrible idea, especially when a bike has RBW. No debate on this, they’re wretched. Others’ opinions may vary.

Anyway, thought I’d update you all as to the chance of Triumph releasing a CC for this bike as that’ll be NONE.

2. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Furrygreg on the MC cruise post below seems to have a system that utilises the ride by wire, have a chat see if that works for what you’re after

3. BiKenG

BiKenG Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Surrey
    Yes, I'm aware of the McCruise, but it's outrageously expensive. It would be simpler as it has everything to plug in, but at 3 times the price of what I can do myself using a different controller that I've used before and know works.

Now I know there'll be no offering from Triumph, I shall start looking into this.

Having said that there can never be a Triumph CC option, in fact there could be. If Triumph decided it was worthwhile, they could add the required software code and include it in a firmware update. But I suspect they are very unlikely to do that. Shame though as it would be so easy for them to do.