Featured Cruise Control Is Working

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by DavidBrownLaw, Aug 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DavidBrownLaw

DavidBrownLaw Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2020
    Lawrence, Kansas
    The dealer installed the cruise control on my Bonneville T120 today. It works well. For those who have had issues, there is more to the installation than simply putting the new handle on and connecting wires. There is some sort of computer modification that it appears only a Triumph dealer can do. My mechanic was there fiddling with his laptop for quite awhile as various settings had to be modified. Our bikes are no longer mechanical beasts you can fix with a wrench. Computers and special software are required.
    But, as I said, once properly installed, it works. It is basic. One push to activate, one push to set at speed. The bike holds speed until you: twist the throttle, hit a brake, or put in the clutch. It is pretty basic. I need this because I have bad vertebrae in my neck. I broke my my neck when I was 20. If my arm is outstretched for too long it goes numb and my hand and fingers don't work. With the cruise, I can lock in at speed, remove and lower my arm so circulation and nerves recover and I can hold the throttle again. Old throttle locks and various camp-buster type devices don't work for me because they required me to use my right hand to operate. Once the arm is numb, it's kind of like a wet noodle. Completely useless. I bought this bike because the electronic cruise was available. But remember, this is not a do-it-yourself installation.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Murdo

Murdo Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Leyburn; UK
    For anyone with cruise I would advise them to check it after every service. Just press the button and ensure that the cruise light comes on. Twice my dealer has done a scheduled software update and it has wiped the cruise code. It's a 5 minute fix to reflash the software with the correct code but it's annoying if you don't spot it until you're on a big trip!

• Useful Useful x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    I’ve had cruise on my T120 since it was almost new. I really like it. @Murdo, thanks for the heads-up. I’ve never thought about that.