Cross Posting 1971 T120rv Question

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Racer99, Aug 27, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Racer99

Racer99 New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Jacksonville Florida
    Looking for a little help. I have a 1971 T120RV, and no it doesn't have the Quafe 5 speed, it a factory V (5 speed) serial No GE27XXX. Those in the know recognize that number as last of the production run for 1971.

I have found plenty of anecdotal references to the 200 factory built 5 speeds made for the US market prior to the 1972 release. the key difference on these models is 1st and 5th gear ratios are the same as 1st and 4th on the 1971 4 speed. 1972 they changed 5th.

I am looking for a Triumph confirmation that this is true. anyone else know about these?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Racer99

Racer99 New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Jacksonville Florida
    no sorry that is the Quafe I mentioned above. from the same article.
    " Late in 1971, an optional 5-speed Quaife gearbox became available, originally an aftermarket item adopted by the factory race team. It would be next year before they would designate these 5-speed bikes differently, with a "V" suffix (ie: T120V). Gearing was lowered with a 47-tooth rear sprocket, in the interest of acceleration."

Check the T120RV in this page,
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/triu/triumph_bonneville_650_t120v 73.htm

• T120RV - The 5-speed is generally considered to have been available—and was advertised as such—starting in 1972 with the T120V. However, a small pre-production run of 5-speeds were made in June 1971 only, and sold as '71 models. They were externally identical to their '71 T120R 4-speed counterparts, and did not carry any "V" decals such as the 1972 5-speeds displayed on their side panels. They were factory (not dealer) modified T120R models, so their engines/frames/and titles are designated T120RV,with the V being stamped separately when the transmissions were installed. These early factory Triumph 5-speeds are not to be confused with the Quaife 5-speeds that were listed as stocked for sale by Triumph dealers in 1970 to qualify for AMA purposes (the parts "had to be available from Triumph"). The first and final T120RV ratios in 1971 were the same as the 4-speed model, making it a matter of closer ratios, unlike later 5-speeds. These 5-Speeds were not advertised, were not available as an option, and could not be ordered—as the few manufactured were simply distributed individually to selected Triumph dealers and sold by word of mouth.

4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    All i know is that the early 5 speeds failed badly in competition and they were modified/updated by Triumph to the later spec as per later v bikes with a kit.

5. Racer99

Racer99 New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Jacksonville Florida
    yeah that's the question, the early 5 speeds were Quafe dealer installed 5 speeds. mine is the first factory 5, 1st and 5th equaled 1st and 4th for 1971 and is even different than the 72 factory 5 which used a different final ratio.

6. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    The big problem with US bike specs are both Johnson Motors and TriCor never kept good records of all the mods they carried out on both road and competition bikes with or without Triumphs blessing probably because of the small numbers involved and years later you now have a few bikes turning up for sale with unusual specs or numbers.

7. Racer99

Racer99 New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Jacksonville Florida
    So I don't know who those are? did they do the Triumph factory builds? I am not very knowledgeable with the manufacturing history of Triumph.

The point that keeps being made on these 200 1971 T120RV's is they came straight from the factory, not from a speed shop or aftermarket dealer.

8. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Hi JoMo and TriCor were the east and west coast main importers of Triumphs from the UK into the US so everything went through them, It is well known that Triumph were sending out small batches of tuning parts that were made available to selected racers back then. Sorry i can't give you the answer you are after.

9. Racer99

Racer99 New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Jacksonville Florida
    Bummer, you seem very knowledgeable! Yes I am afraid I need someone who was at Triumph in 71-72.

10. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Lol, only what i have picked up from my first Triumph as a teenager in 69 and the following years. Like you i also so many unanswered questions about British bikes and their history.