CRK Cafe Racer Kit - Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Boothy, Oct 18, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    WP_20160911_12_59_59_Pro.jpg unnamed (1).jpg Hi.

Thought would start a thread to keep a record of my Cafe Racer Build.

Have looked with Interest at others building these.

Started of with a Trophy 900 1991 spec which had been stored for 9 years i think with broken Sprag Clutch. Anyway i bought as a runner.

So far have completely stripped down, cut the frame, got 3 spoke 17" Rims, carefully bagged and marked all bits and pieces up.

Frame and all metal bits being powder coated, got some brand new front forks and various other bits piling up.

Checked engine over valve clearances spot on, sump pretty clean, main bearing shells looked perfect.

Will post more pictures as the build goes on.

unnamed.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    looking forward to the pics, and good luck with the rebuild

3. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Thanks.

First time i have built a bike up, done lots of stuff with cars over the years, laid up with man flu at moment so wont be much done over next few days !!

• Like Like x 1
  4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    GWS then and update asap. And remember we need pics, loads of em, we are a bit senile in here and cant picture things in our heads.
    LOL

5. Angry Sky

Angry Sky Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Staffordshire
    Hope you enjoy the build. Are you keeping the oil cooler or fitting a bypass pipe? Also what bar risers are fitted? Been searching for some for my build.

6. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    risers look like cnc clamp on from m&p ebay,just fitted some to mine

7. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Have got a by pass pipe to fit under the sump (triumph part) get rid of oil cooler.

The bars that came with bike were renthals, a set of new clip ons come with kit, sat on bike at Staffordshire show they suit me fine.

I dont have much in way of pics to post as just a pile of parts waiting to come back from powder coating. Engine been stripped this weekend as painting satin black. Will post some pics as start to assemble together.

Exhaust Manifold is slowly polishing back up to shiny stainless.

8. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Update got all parts back from powder coaters, looking good. Just cleaning and painting other bits and pieces up and then hopefully start building back up.

Under no illusion wont be that straightforward:)

9. Cafe Hinckley

Cafe Hinckley Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Hi Boothy,

I am just about to embark on the same journey, albeit with a 1994 Daytona 900, but don't think there is much difference from a bike perspective. My CRK kit is also in production and cant wait to collect the bike next weekend and get stripping.

Ill be watching your progress closely and am sure Ill hit you up for some tips along the way.

Regards
    Jonathan

10. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Hi Johnathan.

Yes no problems, i have completely stripped my bike back to its component parts, new bearings, seals the lot so gaining plenty of experience with this my first Triumph, building frame suspension back up, kit should be with me early December.

I bought a hydraulic motorbike bench for this project, have to say one of best investments i have made.

Paul

11. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Hey Boothy,

I plan to do the same but hopefully don't have to go too far as my donor bike is really clean (almost a shame to cut it ......almost)

I was looking at the lifts but just thought it was another £400 out of my budget so am going to build one instead following this guys lead - http://www.cafematty.com/diy-motorcycle-table-lift/

I already have a Draper Scissor Lift from a previous project that i will utilise with this which i think should get me there.

My kit is due before Christmas too so we should be building at the same time.

Keeps the pics and updates coming.

Cheers
    J

12. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    The one i bought was off Ebay, £270.00 delivered and is excellent

Here is the engine originally silver finish, changed to Black now !! Sprayed the engine with covers loosened but in place, then removed all of the covers to spray individually. Turned out well pleased with result, cant recommend Simoniz "Tough Paint" enough covers well oil and petrol resistant to, dries to good tough finish.

13. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Sounds like a good deal - I was a bit worried that a cheaper one would be a bit flimsy but will see how it goes.

Luckily my engine/frame/swing arm is all black already so maybe just more of a clean up required.

Guess i'll see once i blow it apart.

14. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    WP_20161112_14_33_14_Pro.jpg Hi Bit of an update, engine virtually complete and checked/re-built back up colour changed to black from the original silver.
    Fitting new bearings and building up the wheels and suspension at the moment, so not to much to show until engine back in the frame with the wheels on.

WP_20161112_14_33_05_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  15. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Looking good fella - not sure if you saw my post but I am up and running now too. Still toying with the idea of pulling the engine and completely stripping it as mine is in pretty good shape. Any advice??

Wow - also noticed you are building your own wheels - that's a pretty skilled job. I have been hunting around for a wheel builder as i want to change my wheels to spoked from the current cast versions but its not a cheap exercise.

16. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Hi i did the basic checks on the engine as been stood for 8 years with broken spragg clutch. Compression checks fine, took bearing caps off, checked ok replaced oil pump, cam chain tensioner and checked valves. just gradually painted up and put back together with all new seals and gaskets.

I replaced the 6 spoke wheels that came with my Trophy Base Bike with the 3 spoke Brembo items same as your Daytona, had them powder coated black then masked and sprayed the silver rim. Have to now get tyres fitted and put new bearings and seals in thats this weeks job !!

17. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Here is a pic of the wheels so far WP_20161104_17_42_11_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Looking good - i like the two tone but for or me it has to be soked rims though!!

What tyres are you going to use - I have been trying to find something a bit more classic looking like the Bridgestone Spitfires but they dont do them in the right size. Seems like all the classic looking ones only come in smaller sizes.

I am currently thinking i may go for the Metzler Z6 RoadTec as they have a slightly more old school look because of the tread pattern but its not quite the same.

19. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Hi I have gone for standard tyres as not to bothered about a classic look, want the best handling, stopping etc i can get with the classic look of the kit.

20. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Think CRK do a spoked wheel conversion on the website, maybe they can advise on compatible classic tyres