Craven Equipment Panniers For Speedmaster?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Steve O'Connor, Jan 24, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve O'Connor

Mar 9, 2021
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Hi everyone, I have been searching for hard panniers for my Speedmaster when I chanced into an ad for Craven Equipment in a copy of the Nacelle. I need an honest take on them. How is the quality of their products, ease of adding to the bike and after sale service? Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. John Bentall

John Bentall Member

Nov 24, 2021
    Enfield, North London
    Being in the US, you are taking a big gamble on buying from a small UK manufacturer. They seem to be the ONLY people making hard bags for the water-cooled Speedmaster.
    If I were you, I would give them a call and express your concerns. Try and get a feel what they are like as people and for their customer service.
    They do offer a 10 year warranty on their product.

Hope this helps,
    John (in UK)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steve O'Connor

Mar 9, 2021
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks John, I have just recently emailed them and filled out a contact form on their website. I have always had Givis on my bikes. I love lockable, detachable hardbags but Givi doesn't seem interested in developing a Speedmaster specific mounting system. I already have Hepco & Becker messenger bags with their c-bow mounting system but their hardbags are flat ugly however, I may dig deep & eat ramen noodles for a bit and buy their 30 liter brown leather bags.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Craven Equipment panniers used to be THE staple for "aftermarket" panniers throughout the '60s and '70s. I bought (and still have) a complete set - carrier; top box and side cases - for a '72 Commando Interstate and they were used to carry camping equipment around the country in my young (and foolish .... I mean, camping!!!) motorcycling years. Still got 'em (and the Commando) somewhere.

I seem to recall that the only real drawback with the Craven gear was that it was made of fibreglass so it could - and did - get brittle if it was over exposd to, for example, exhaust heat. High level pipes and fibreglass are not a happy combination.

The fibreglass was also slightly less forgiving than the "plastic" used by Krauser; Sigma et al., which, in the event of an off - or even tip over - would absorb some of any impact and, I imagine, result in less damage.

I would be surprised if Craven's production quality is in any doubt but due diligence is, of course, always recommended.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Steve O Connor
    Craven were the or one of the choices when Triumphs were young. I believe the police even used them on there 500's. I always liked the sigma boxes they just seemed classier. Didn't even know they still existed.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steve O'Connor

Mar 9, 2021
    Indianapolis, Indiana

7. Steve O'Connor

Mar 9, 2021
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    They, Craven, did respond quickly to my contact form but I decided to stick with Hepco & Becker and bought a set of somewhat larger leather panniers. That way I can swap out the two different styles whenever necessary. I most likely will use the messenger style bags more for local rides and the leather panniers for tours. Thanks everyone for all the info.

• Useful Useful x 1