Crap Cars Your Dad (or You) Had

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by steve lovatt, Mar 22, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Inspired by another thread (Newchurch v Street Twin).
    I'll start with the horror that was the Maxi. (Not the actual car but same colour!)
    gb_013_Austin_Maxi_82-570x326.jpg

2. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    It wasn't the worst - this was!
    RAYSREGAL.jpg

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    This was my car, it used to take me all over with my windsurfers strapped to the top, it was the same colour but faded and rusted in places where the salt water had drained of the boards. Had over 150,000 on her when she finally died, god she was ugly but had a lovely character!!
    E9E76A8B-D886-4718-A5A0-55DE048433E4.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  4. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #4 Havit, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Bad memories with this car...it was one of them that knocked me and my girlfriend at the time off my bike when i was around 19. Spent 6 months in hospital with a broken femur. My girlfriend had both legs broken in 16 places. The bloke driving did a runner and reported his car stolen.

5. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I'd have a 2CV no problem!

• Like Like x 1
  6. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading

Remember seeing something (might have been Top Gear) years ago. They were testing out a 6 wheel drive heavily modified car up a steep rocky track on an African mountainside.
    They were slowly getting there, about halfway up, when a 2CV comes pottering past, the guy waves to them as he goes past and carries on up the mountain.:D

• Like Like x 3
  7. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    The 2CV was a great tracking car due to its damping and all independant soft springing. used to use them all the time

• Like Like x 1
  8. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    My mate had one of those in a sickly green colour. We used to get a lift to school off a friends dad who had Renault. First was a Renault 8, followed by a 10 and then a 12!

9. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    "My name is Steve, I was driven around in a blue Reliant Regal as a child - I need your help!" :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Jerry Winder

Jerry Winder Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Brecon Beacons
    Oh I had some right old crap in my teens and early twenties. Here are just a few!! You will, of course, recognise the unmistakable design icon that is the Austin Allegro. The other two are the mighty Citroen Ami 8 and the simply beautiful Simca 1100.

Ami8.jpg

Simca 1100.jpg

Allegro.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Ha ha, I had one of those for a while, swapped a stereo record deck for it, mine was hand painted matt black, lol.

12. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    I learned to drive in my dads Simca, same colour as this.

• Like Like x 1
  13. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I learnt to drive in one of these, failed my test twice, first time cos I had only driven a car once before, second I hit a van as I was pulling out of the parking space from the test centre, I might have been a bit stoned as well!! Gear stick came out the dash, claim to fame was, I think, it was the first family car Renault made with front wheel drive. My parents used to drive it to Greece and back every year.
    E4A8BD48-04C6-47E7-A1AB-2AC8CE5F4E59.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

We had three maxi's. Loved them. Back seat laid flat into the boot, fall asleep looking up at the stars as we drove home from my grandads house.
    Loved the mk5 Cortina, and the mk1 Granada, they were the highlights.

Low point was a square viva van, with a wolsley grill put on the front of it by my dad, feck knows why he did that!!!!!

15. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    My Dad's crap cars were many and varied :
    Ford Cortina Mk 1 auto - wasn't a crap car until he drove into the side of a lorry and lost the front wing. The lorry 'peeled' it off!!
    Ford Corsair V4 auto - good car until I parked it in a furniture shop;
    Renault 8 push-button auto - only the rust was holding it together !!!

16. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    Nothing wrong with the old 2ColdVegetarians, as long as it was reasonably warm - like any air cooled car, the heating just didn’t.

Very tough car though, with remarkable off-road performance.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ian650

ian650 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Telford
    I can now admit to owninh an Allegro 3 Estate car. We hadn't long had our first kid and so had to carry half the house around with us if visiting friends and relatives. Can't believe how much stuff would go in that car! Fond memories really

18. doug

doug New Member

Jul 20, 2016
    Glasgow
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Mum drove a Volvo 240 estate...a proper battle wagon, everyone got out of the way
    Similar to this but in sky blue!
    [​IMG]
    Dad drove a Dolomite
    [​IMG]
    And then up to a Granada 4WD - fantastic car that
    [​IMG]
    Now he has his Mercedes SLK!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    A friend of mine once bought a beautiful looking, white Lancia (Beta maybe). It took it about six months to dissolve into rust. Horrendous they way the body disintegrated.

21. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    Once had a ford Anglia that pouted thick black smoke when we came to a steep hill creating an impressive smoke screen worthy of an RN destroyer,also had to park it at the top of a hill get it started on winter mornings:(. I also had a Morris Ital (notorious soft engines).On a trip to Birmingham to visit friends,the big ends went at Shap Fell,managed to get down into the village garage,where I was able to leave it until I could recover it and tow it home.The garage owner kindly drove us 16 miles to the nearest railway station to continue our holiday in a skoda (my daughter was horrified) given the Skoda reputation in the 80's :).