Couple Of Fuel Questions For Everyone

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by anthony gothard, May 6, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. anthony gothard

anthony gothard Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    Curious

Whats the most miles to empty you have seen on your gauge after a refuel ?
    i`ll start but know it will be easily beaten......202 miles.

Ive been running performance cars most of my life and swear by shell v power petrol
    Have any of you opinions whether we gain anything from premium fuel on the triple, apart from internals being cleaned ( so they say ) Ive not enough miles on mine, or experience to tell on mine yet.
    Cheers

2. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    TBH the only notice I take of petrol is when the light comes on.
    I don't even know my MPG :oops:
    I just shove some more in,though I might put some special stuff in every now and again.

3. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    I just buy supermarket fuel , used to work in a petrol station.
    It just got put into whatever tank they had space in.
    So if it was for super unleaded ( the tank that is) you were just as likely to have normal unleaded in it.
    It costs too much to send a tanker back so if you don't have room in the right tank you use one that does.

4. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Once in a blue moon. This was when I worked for Trust House Forte on the M3. Services at Fleet.
    Knew a few other guys that worked in petrol stations as wel and the same thing happened there

5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I've seen 228 on the Tiger so far but I suppose it depends on how much you squeeze in. I suppose you would get a tad more in if you put the bike on the centre stand (if you have one) rather than on the side stand when filling up (if you could be arsed!).

6. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    I've got a theoretical 240 miles on my 20 litre (4.4 gal) Explore tank @ 55mpg.

I refuled a couple of times at around 220, so it sounds about right.

7. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Call me picky, but........
    Thread was started by Anthony on the SpeedIII forum, so 240mls etc on a Tiger/Explorer doesn't have much relevance to us Speedies. :);)
    Having said that Gary's comments were enlightening!
    Seem to remember reading somewhere that using Super is a waste of time unless your ECU is clever enough to adjust to it (which the >'15 SpeedIII probably isn't).
    Personally I get about 160mls to the light after filling on the sidestand and riding twisties (could get more riding boring - but why would you?).
    I put Super in a month or so leading up to a winter lay up in the hope of reducing crud.

8. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    There's been many studies to show in the majority of cars, bikes etc that it doesn't give any real benefit.
    As to supermarket fuel who do you think is making it , the supermarket?
    It's just rebadged fuel from whichever manufacturer they have made a deal with. I've seen Shell tankers in my local supermarket, so I would imagine they have a deal with Shell.
    Normally it's their own brand tankers but on occasion I have see the shell ones.

It's been a long time since I worked a forecourt but I doubt they have improved at all. When you think how many petrol stations there are, how likely do you think Trading Standards ( or whoever it is that's responsible ) will appear on a forecourt to make sure they are abiding by the rules?

I worked on the petrol forecourt for 8 months, we did have an inspection in that time but they told us when they were coming, so surprisingly ( not ) we made sure everything was up to spec.
    I actually asked the guys how often they did unannounced visits and they said once in a blue moon as they didn't really have the man power to do them.
    So it amounted to when and if they started to get complaints in.

9. anthony gothard

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    well, im gonna have to disagree with some of you guys.
    Two cars previous i had a mk4 heavily modified golf.
    95 ron or your basic unleaded gave me more turbo lag. best bhp run was 255bhp
    shell v power same rolling road same ambient temperature, best bhp was 283 bhp
    Present car. hsv 6,ltr v8 certainly produces smoother running and feels a bit more power but running 440 bhp on streets aint going to matter if i gain an extra 5 or 6 bhp. Cause you cant use it.
    I assume there will be some doubters but for me, on my cars. it did make a difference.
    so on the other hand with 135 bhp on the triple and the way it already runs i too doubt you could feel much difference.
    Ive run mine on both and maybe its just piece of mind that she is getting the best quality fuel and so called internals being cleaned at the same time.
    Also i think spending upwards of 12k on the bike and accessories a couple of pence per litre extra dosnt matter a jot.
    all my personal thoughts of course.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Steve I'm just relating my own experiences and observations.
    So they are subjective.
    I buy supermarket fuel as I've never had any problems with it, certainly I've noticed no differance Between supermarket or branded petrol.
    In a high performance car or bike you may notice a differance.
    As to the additives in fuel I would question how effective they are.
    I remember when Shell started putting these additives to clean your engine in and the damage that was caused to quite a few cars. It took a fair while for them to admit there was a problem and sort it.
    More important in my view would be maintaining your bike or car correctly.

11. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I worked for Q8 many years ago and we used to pick fuel up for all sorts of terminals.
    Most of our's came from Murco but you'd see Shell tankers in BP and vice versa.
    I don't know if it still goes on but it used to.

12. Wasp

Wasp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    Burnley NWUK
    hi,

I run mine on the best fuel I can find, normally the shell v power. As Anthony says, £12k for the bike to then worry about a few pence each fill just doesn't make sense to me. If i've been bluffed and the fuel doesn't actually help the engine internals, then i'm no better or worse off than anyone else, but if it DOES work.....happy days. Makes me feel like i'm doing my bit. Each to their own tho...

ATB

Bob

13. anthony gothard

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    maybe my imagination...but dont think so..
    after reading previous posts i have been trying a couple of tanks of cheap fuel. ok / ish.
    but went back to v power today, 350 miles two tanks of juice, and sure it performs better all the way through the rev range. for me, v power everytime.
    OR
    Could be the small bar end mirrors just fitted giving me less resistance Ha