Could A Slack Chain Give Slipping Clutch/tc Feeling?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by drinky, Sep 2, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    Bit of a Noddy question but I was out today on the Thruxton R when I started to get what felt like clutch slip, the bikes only got 2,800 miles so it shouldn't be anywhere near needing plates. Anyway whilst making my way home I started flicking between modes which seemed to make a difference i.e. Rain mode made it less obvious whereas sport had it slipping at anything above 4k when opened up. On arriving home I noticed the chain was a bit slack (not enough to jump teeth or anything). My question is would a 'slack' chain cause this feeling?
    Cheers.

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello drinky, my guess would be that what you were experiencing was the traction control cutting in. A slack chain is most unlikely to give this sort of effect.

3. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    DD, no I've got a set of after market levers, I'll give them a look over tomorrow, they've been on for the last 1,000 miles though.
    Cheers.

4. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    DD, no I've got a set of after market levers, I'll give them a look over tomorrow, they've been on for the last 1,000 miles though.
    Cheers.

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That's it Jez, exactly that, plus a good dollop of copper grease of course.

6. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Is that a dollop as in a gnats whisker or a gorillas gonads? lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Well if there are 50 dollops to a Gorilla's nut sack & and a 1000 gnats whiskers to a dollop, I would say it's roughly a 'smear' of copper grease.................................

• Like Like x 3
  8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I take it you have now adjusted the chain ?

9. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    Yep, have checked the clutch lever and it seems fine, will give it a run out a bit later and see whats what.
    Cheers for the advice.

10. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    Eventually got it out today for the first time since the 'slipping clutch feeling'. I adjusted the chain before going out, the bike felt absolutely fine, no sign of any slipping at all. Struggle to see how a slack chain could give the feeling of slipping but I'm bloody relieved it seems sorted.

• Like Like x 1