Scrambler Corrosion / Fuelling Issues

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Jerry Winder, Apr 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jerry Winder

Jerry Winder Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Brecon Beacons
    OK, my Street Scrambler is 10 months old. It's got less than 1800 miles on it and it's been garaged and hooked up to an Optimate all winter. On Monday I took it our for a run and noticed a problem with the fuelling. Once it got warm, cracking the throttle for overtakes would result in the the revs dropping for maybe half a second before picking up again. It was internittant and I thought it might be dodgy fuel and that it would work its way through. No such luck, took it out again today and the problems getting worse.

This morning I decided to give the bike a good look over and noticed that it's starting to rust on the rear shocks, the shock fasteners are showing signs of corrosion, the head bolts are showing signs of corrosion and the rear wheel spokes are starting to go rusty. On a 10 month old bike that's been garaged all winter that's appalling.

Between us me and the missus have had 7 Triumphs over the years and neither of us has ever had problems like this. I've also come back to Triumph after 4 BMW's, I bought the Street Scrambler over the RnineT Scrambler, as I wanted to buy British and I liked the look of the Trumpet. I've never had a problem with any of the BMW's I've owned over the years, (in spite of the continual comments from people about how unreliable they've become), and I'm beginning to wonder whether I should have stuck with BMW.

I've spoken to my dealer this morning who's going to take a look over the bike this week but I'm wondering whether anybody else has experienced the same problems or have I just got a bad bike. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Nickhall

Nickhall Active Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Bedford
    Hi Jerry

I have a street scrambler that I bought in June 17, its done about 4500 miles now including some winter riding. It's been in a garage otherwise and I gave it a proper first clean of the spring this weekend. I can't say I found any of the corrosion issues you have found apart from a bit of rust on the inside of the chain where I was a bit careless not to squirt chain lube. It all cleaned up pretty good. I used ACF 50 twice during the winter.

I'm sorry yours seems to have corroded, that doesn't seem right to me.

Nick

3. r2uzenblot

r2uzenblot New Member

Sep 19, 2020
    Bridgnorth
    I have just picked up a 2019 Street Scrambler with just over 1,000 miles on the clock and at first look it seems immaculate. When you look very closeley I see exactly the same as Jerry Winder. I don't know the bikes history and it is a Triumph Approved bike but a bit surprised to see furring of some of the fasteners underneath the engine/sumpgard and then traces of corrosion on the rear wheel spokes and on the near side shock.
    I will try and clean up as I'm not going winter riding and may just get some new fasteners.....

• Like Like x 1