Correct Spark Plug For '72 Oif T120v

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by rich, Aug 30, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rich

rich Member

Hiya folks! Just a quick one - which spark plugs would you recommend for my '72 T120V? Have always used NGK in the past, and some say B8ES are best, and some B7ES, or even B6ES. The last time it was used two years ago it seemed to foul its B8's and now they won't spark at all. I don't mind trying Champion, ND, Bosch, whatever. Any ideas, folks? Many thanks, Rich

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Just had a look on www.triumphrat.net and the general concensus of opinion seems to be that the B8s are too cold and will foul up at any opportunity. B7s are hotter and B6s are hotter still and will therefore both be less prone to fouling. If it was me, I would try the B7s and check the colour of them after a 'spirited' run (cut the motor and coast to a halt before checking). If they still look a bit sooty then try the B6s, which seem to be the plug of choice for most people, but not all - a few seem happy with B8s. Bikes of that age may well by now have different requirements after a lifetime of abuse. Just remember that going to a hotter plug can cause a piston to hole:eek: which is why I would just go up one grade at a time. Buying two sets of plugs is a cheaper fix compared to replacing a piston. Please don't ask me how I know this: unamused: .... and anyway, it was a Norton, m'lud.
    Also check that the carbs/air filters are ok and that the ignition system is functioning as it should.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rich

rich Member

Hi Steve
    Thanks for your comprehensive reply! I shall take.your advice and get a pair of B7's to start with, I think. I read somewhere that the bonnies after used 8's and before '68 used 7's but I've never really had a lot of luck with 8's - but to be fair the last time I used them was in a Kawa KH250 which ate plugs...

4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Only bike I ever had where I didn't leave home without a spare set of plugs and a plug spanner

5. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
  6. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I have the same problem with my T140 powered Triton and have got Denso 20's (hotter) in at the moment having read somewhere (online:rolleyes:) they were a better plug but have also ran a Champion 6 and NGK 8 both colder with varying results HTH it drives me nuts!

7. rich

rich Member

The only bike I ever had which had three spare plug holders under the seat as standard!

8. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Very true that @rich, I'd forgotten that bit :)

9. rich

rich Member

Well when I eventually get old Tina the Triumph recommisioned and back on the road I shall let you all know how she gets on! Many thanks for all your replies, folks. Cheers, Rich 20170830_191313.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    My first bike, a Suzuki 50cc Sportsman, took great delight in 'whiskering' its one and only spark plug. This was when petrol was leaded and the lead built up on the plug and gradually closed the gap between the electrodes (at least, that's what I have always been lead to believe - lead ... geddit? Oh please yourselves:p). This was a nuisance, but at the ripe old age of 16 I just didn't care and carried a spare plug or two with me and got the defunct plug(s) sand blasted at the local bike emporium (Ewbanks, Pontefract, mid sixties!) each Saturday ready for the new week. Didn't know any better really. Ah the innocence of youth!! Soon learnt though.:eek:

11. rich

rich Member

A Suzuki, in the mid sixties, in Britain? In Yarkshire? Ring-ding-a-ding-ding! That led/lead gag was shocking, btw

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Pretty sure it was a B reg i.e. 1964, bought new by my brother who later decided a car was more useful to him for carrying his fishing tackle (he bought an Austin A35 would you believe!!?). I think I paid him £60 for it, about 3 months before my 16th birthday in September '66.
    Yorkshire has always been at the cutting edge tha knows.:p
    Yes I know, sorry about that. I don't do jokes, but loonyism comes naturally!:grinning::grinning:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Back in the 70s I always went with bs6 for the t120 but that was back in the day with proper petrol

14. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    • Useful Useful x 1