Correct Chain Slack...?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by manbitescat, Mar 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. manbitescat

manbitescat Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Southend on Sea
    2016MY Speed R: Handbook states 21-30mm. Just bought recommended (from these pages) stainless C spanner and a Motion Pro Slack Setter as I'm too stupid to figure out how to use a ruler (I really am). Far as I can tell, chain slack is around 35-40mm. What kind of tolerance do other folks go with...? Many thanks...

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    No one size fits all if you get my drift adjust to one setting and see how the gear change feels and then if no excessive chain slack try another setting,the speed triple seems affeected more than most bikes by chain tension which can have big impact on gear changes imho.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Better loose than tight though as too tight can cause damage to bearings as the wheel travels up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Chewie

Chewie Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    You should always set the slack at the tightest part of the chain. Every chain that has seen a bit of use will have developed a tight spot. Adjust it correctly, according to the manual at the tightest spot. It will have more slack at other parts of the chain, but as Richard Neale says....better to be a little loose than a little tight. I always check the chain again (at the tight spot) with me sitting on it, as a final check.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. manbitescat

Sep 13, 2018
    Southend on Sea
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Manbiescat
    I always leave my chain at about an inch on the tightest point. Seems to work for me.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

7. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    That’s exactly same tool I’ve got perfect for the job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. NakedBiker

NakedBiker Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Surrey, UK
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. manbitescat

Sep 13, 2018
    Southend on Sea
    Agreed. I've looked at the CM, thought it looked a bit duff, but maybe you're right, adjusting the chain tension is a pain in the arse. I have many skills, fucking around with mechanicals, much to my dear old dad's regret, ain't really one of 'em. Hours spent freezing my arse off as a kid, watching my old man grinding in valve seats, bleeding brakes etc. Sorry I digress...yep I'll think about the CM...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. NakedBiker

NakedBiker Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Surrey, UK
    I've had many years working on my own bikes and any tool that makes a job easier with less swearing is in my opinion worth it.
    I was so excited to go from double sided swing arms to the Speed Triple single sided; no more faffing about with alignment and seized adjuster bolts......Until I tried to tighten the chain on the Speed for the 1st time. For the 2nd time I had the chain monkey.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chewie

Chewie Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    after my first attempt at chain adjustment on my new 05 I felt like it was a ....... of a job. After I had done it about 4 or 5 times over the first couple of years, I could do it easily even with the chitty tool in the toolkit. After 14 years and 6 Speed Triples I can do it in a couple of minutes with no fuss.

What I am saying is that it gets easier after you've done it a couple of times.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Don’t quote me but you are meant to check chain tension off stand, bike to be upright but awkward I know but doable you will get different tension if bikes on stand whether side or swing arm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. manbitescat

Sep 13, 2018
    Southend on Sea
    #13 manbitescat, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    How you keep the bike upright without a stand, I've no idea, bad enough trying to check the oil level (currently use Abba stand with chock under f/wheel to keep bike level). Manual reads...

'..Place the motorcycle on a level surface
    and hold it in an upright position with no
    weight on it.
    Rotate the rear wheel by pushing the
    motorcycle to find the position where
    the chain is tightest, and measure the
    vertical movement of the chain midway
    between the sprockets...'

My dealer (Jack Lilley as was) does pretty much everything with the bike on an Abba stand. I'm aware this is taking the load off the suspension but can't see any sensible alternative...?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    DOH I’ve got mixed up haha with checking the oil level dipstick (yes I know I’m in a cast on meds and blame the codeine),I luckily have both ABBA and warrior stands your quote from manual is correct,I used to lean bike over just off vertical against my body while kneeling down to check dipstick,I know not exactly the safest method says the man who fell off a high ladder and smashed his wrist OUCH l.o.l

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    That’s why I said don’t quote me hahaha

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    if back wheel off the floor on ABBA stand the slack will be wrong. Best to use a single sided paddock stand so the weight is on the back wheel and bike upright . I have previously tipped bike over on side stand to lift rear off the deck wedged with a piece of wood under footpeg mount found tight spot by rotating wheel. Then adjusted at that point - lifting bike vertical to check - but its still a pain... single sided paddock stand available cheap from Demon Tweaks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. manbitescat

Sep 13, 2018
    Southend on Sea
    Just spoken to technician at Carl Rosner. His words were 'don't overthink it, anything up to 40mm is fine by me'. I'll err on the loose side and slacken it off some and think about the paddock stand, not so easy to mount bike single handed...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Yes the warrior stand is about £50ish I think goes through rear wheel centre bargain imho

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    I know that there's a debate to be had about whether using the chain monkey is the way forwards or not; but, that aside, will it work ok on a single swing armed 955i Triple (2002)?
    I read that it is impractical on a single swing arm, in some instances; because of how it fits/is used and interference from other bike parts?

• Agree Agree x 1