copper grease on brakes yes or no?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by crispey, Aug 10, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    sorry it should read near brakes
    I
    have a brake pad change coming up and in my internet searches I came across this! Now in the old days I used to splash it all over but now they say no, and if no what does everyone use to lube the pins etc?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    WellI would always use it on the back of pads and on the pins. Some argue that it will attract muck but I haven't found that - but there again I have the bike in bits regular so things get and keep clean.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Wow nearly lost the will to live reading that lot. Like everything else in life, moderation, moderation,moderation, I use it on pins and anything with threads where there is corrosion especially between dissimilar metals. I wouldn't use it anywhere near brake fluid/pistons.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Basically they're saying that the grease reacts with the rubber seals causing them to swell and become dysfunctional.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    i used to wear my shoes down trying to stop mi pushbike, so yer must use a lot of coppery stuf..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I use it like the big lad, it does stop squealing , copper ease has always been part of my brake service, maybe I'm old fashioned ,

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Always use it on the back of pads and on the pins to stop squealing - same with car brakes in the days when I used to change the pads myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Until recently I would have said yes, but after seeing this maybe not on my bike.

Matt appears to know his stuff, like following him on YouTube.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Look Havit what you and littleade do is your business keep it to yourself.

As for copper grease I have always used it on brake pins and where the piston hits the back of the pad, always will.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    You shouldn't use copper slip on the back of pads a the heat turns it to glue use hi temp grease instead

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Brake application transfers energy as heat, light and sound. Sound is unwanted vibration.....eliminate vibration and you kill sound.....albeit some is inevitable. Light should be undetectable without an infra red camera! Mostly heat is dissipated to air.
    The basic theory of a light smear of grease (and shims) is to damp out the vibration so you are not driving a violin string. The grease gets contaminated over time and you don’t need to coat the pad just inside the caliper fingers and the edge of the piston contacting the pad.
    Grease is getting old school with Teflon coatings on some pad backing and shims but done sparingly it works for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    red rubber grease for the seals.

copperslip on the pins.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    COPPER SLIP OLD SKOOL , HELL YEAH :D:D:D:D:D

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Billy the giant

Jun 6, 2017
    Leeds
    Old school right. Modern brake pads have anti squeal shims ect for the vibration, ie squealing sound. But applying copper slip (ease) does no harm at all. Applying copper slip between the calliper and anti rattle clips is fine, normally the clips are stainless sprung steel and the calliper is normally cast, hence dissimilar metals resulting in galvorossion. Hi temp grease and extreme pressure grease would be a bit a bit risky as they are petroleum based and if contacted with pin gators, would distort and loosen seals, red rubber grease is the way to go lubing those as they have been made with natural oils, and don’t distort rubber seals. Copper slip on the pad rear, and moving parts would be fine as copper slip is a clay based anti seize, and has a very high melting point.
    I’ve never had any problems, and that lad in the YouTube vid seems a bit of a tit!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. itchyfeet

itchyfeet New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Stonehenge Wiltshire
    I 've been maintaining my own bikes since my Dad showed me how to service my first Honda MT50 36 years ago. I've always used copperslip on the back of the pads (where the pistons touch) as I'm convinced it stops squeal. In fact on the occasions where i have fitted pads while touring without copperslip brake noise has reminded me to apply some on returning home. That cannot be in my mind only and maybe things/technology have moved forward but I think the you tube vid is completely over the top, use it if you want and know what you are doing, don't use it if you don't want and put up with pad rattle or squeal (on older bikes) Maybe new bikes have coated pistons that stop this, butb I don't think mine does. Anyway, a jar of copperslip lasts for years and years, and I've still got two to get through!!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    wurth AL1100 is even better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Brixton Steve

Brixton Steve Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Devon
    It's amazing how many people think they know better than the pad manufacturers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    That could be the record for thread resurrection. .:p

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes I still use copper ease on my pads. Not the pins I polish them and a little silicone spray. But each to their own if it makes you feel better go for it.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Its a yes from me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1