Cooling System Still Not Working

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by chipmiester, Aug 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chipmiester

chipmiester Member

Mar 25, 2019
    tewkesbury uk
    OK guys this is my last attempt to get cooling working on this 955i daytona of mine, have tried everything people have told me to try and still no joy. The bike overheated about a month ago due to radiator failure. I've replaced rad which came with fan, fitted new hoses, fitted another water pump and new thermostat. Flushed system and re filled doing the usual squeezing top hose etc. Been for test ride weather not too hot and windy. My bike temp is in f, open road fast cruising 180 to 190 f give it some beans and temp climbs to 210 to 220 and fan comes on, tried riding with thermostat removed and same thing. What I have noticed is water coming out of the coolant reservoir overflow hose. Any ideas guys cause I've just about had it with bike and if I can't sort it it's going to the scrap yard I'm that sick of it. Please help and save this bike. Cheers guys
    Oh I've also checked oil and sparkplug to see if head gasket gone but all fine.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Back to basics.....

Have you independently verified the temp readings? I.e. is it really overheating? If overfilled some coolant will be ejected from the overflow.

Have you reverse flushed the whole system with a hosepipe, thermostat removed? If you have a steady flow you will know there are no blockages.

Finally, a compression test...... if you have a blown gasket from head to water jacket it may not be externally apparent but will pressurise the water jacket and blow coolant out of the overflow leading to overheating. Left too long it will erode the head itself possibly necessitating a skim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. chipmiester

chipmiester Member

Mar 25, 2019
    tewkesbury uk
    It's def reading right temp engine is very hot, unfortunately I have no access to a hose. And if gasket gone surely their would be signs of it in oil or spark plugs steam cleaned. Thanks alot for info anyway mate

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Not necessarily obvious. A leak from combustion chamber into water jacket will initially just pump the coolant out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. chipmiester

chipmiester Member

Mar 25, 2019
    tewkesbury uk
    If that's the case then easier to just scrap the bike they ain't worth much and don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on it. Thank anyway.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Given what you have replaced, is the rad cap original or replacement? I would try to establish if coolant loss is the result of overheating or its cause......

7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Chipmiester.
    Find dealer who is prepared to trade the bike for you. They are getting harder to find these days and a great source of spares. Or find a replacement engine. Or finally top end strip and rebuild.
    Regards
    Joe.

8. chipmiester

chipmiester Member

Mar 25, 2019
    tewkesbury uk
    Have got 2 rad caps both triumph same with both.
    Not got money for either so looks like scrapyard for the old girl. Have ordered new fad cap as final try. Fingers crossed

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. chipmiester

chipmiester Member

Mar 25, 2019
    tewkesbury uk
    rad lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Mine was doing just the same, though not overheating quite so much, but was spewing coolant out of the overflow.
    It did turn out to be the head gasket. I’m presuming that the combustion gasses were pressurising the coolant, but it wasn’t obviously conclusive as to where on the gasket when I got the head off.
    I replaced the gasket, skimmed the head, replaced all the head seals and resealed the liners. It cost me about £130 to £150 all in, including the bits to make a liner removal tool. Obviously there’d be labour costs on top if you’re not doing it yourself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Chipmiester.
    Sorry mate. But don't scrap the bike. If all else fails then part it out. Like I said they are harder to find these days. So are fetching fair prices for the parts these days. You may get enough together to get something to tide you over till your ship comes in.
    Regards
    Joe.

12. chipmiester

chipmiester Member

Mar 25, 2019
    tewkesbury uk
    Sounds like my head gasket is gone then, not worth fixing as had nothing but trouble with bike, looks like scrapyard for the old girl.

13. chipmiester

chipmiester Member

Mar 25, 2019
    tewkesbury uk
    Thought about that but with work and everything it's major hassle to get parts posted.

14. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I see you changed the ECU map. Did you check the settings for temp?

15. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    If you're adamant it's going to the scrapyard why not gift it to someone on here as a project bike then mate :cool::cool: seems a shame to just bin it :p:p

16. chipmiester

chipmiester Member

Mar 25, 2019
    tewkesbury uk
    Yes, was doing it on standard map too.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    :grinning::grinning: ;)

18. chipmiester