Cooling For 2016 T100 And A Service Manual

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by MoreCowbell, Apr 24, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell New Member

Apr 24, 2021
    New Mexico
    Hello. New to this forum. As I indicated, I have a 2016 Bonneville T100. I understand that this was the last year Triumph made the classic air-cooled engine. This bike includes a small black oil cooler (a feature I rather like) mounted in front of the frame. I have the 18-chapter Service Manual issued January 4, 2012. Nowhere in this manual is there any discussion of cooling whatsoever, never mind a mention of the oil cooler or where it's located within the engine, etc.

I may have just discovered the problem: the 01/04/12 issue date. I purchased it from the same shop that sold me the bike and I guess the manual isn't compatible with the 2016 model year.

So maybe the better question is:

Does anyone have a source or citation for the 2016 Service Manual for this bike ??

I have not been able to fine on anywhere for this model year.

2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Hi and welcome to the forum, let's have a photo or two of your new purchase!
    I think your manual is probably the correct one for your bike. You should find details of the oil cooler within the main engine section of the manual. The factory service manual is fine but it assumes that you are a trained mechanic. You may find that something like the Haynes or Clymer manuals are better for us home mechanics.

3. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell New Member

Apr 24, 2021
    New Mexico
    I have checked extensively on the Internet. Haynes has nothing. For some reason, a technical manual for the 2016 T100 is a black hole. There are manuals for previous and subsequent models, but not the 2016 !!

4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell New Member

Apr 24, 2021
    New Mexico
    It turns out that Chapter 9 ("Lubrication System") had exactly what I was looking for !!!

There is a good presentation of the oil circulation system, a diagram of the engine internals, as well as the oil cooler itself. My problem all along was that I was expecting this to be addressed in an imaginary chapter on "Cooling". My bad ...

It still puzzles me as to why a manual for the 2016 T100 is nowhere to be found. I see manuals for earlier and later years, but not 2016.

I'm good now !! :)