coolant

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bob On, Apr 10, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bob On

Bob On Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Kenya
    I don't have access to "Triumph HD4X Hybrid OAT pre-mixed coolant" so I want to mix distilled water with anti-freeze.
    Can anyone tell me what spec. of antifreeze should be used? I can't find it in any Triumph literature.

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You just need some/any ready-mixed OAT style coolant (very common nowadays - loads of cars use it)

Here's an example, but you can get it anywhere :

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-tr.../halfords-oat-ready-mixed-antifreeze-5-litres

Dave

3. Bob On

Bob On Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Kenya
    Thanks for the response "thebiglad" but there isn't an abundance of Halfords or any other spares type shops for that matter in the mountains of central asia. More's the pity :-( so it's the distilled water and antifreeze route I'm afraid...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Aaaaah sorry mate, didn't know where you were but assumed in the UK.

Halfords was just an example. You do know that OAT coolant is just another type of anti-freeze, don't you? The idea of this stuff is that it stays working for longer. In cars they reckon 5yrs - seems like along time to me but that's what the vehicle manufacturers say????

5. martingw1

martingw1 Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Hi, just looked in my tt600 owners manual, and it states the bike left the factory with 50percent mix of water and ethelyne glycol based anti freeze, and indeed that's the stuff I use in all my bikes, something to do with it being OK for aluminium engine parts etc. Readily available at motor factors, and even supermarkets these days. Hope this helps. Martingw1

• Like Like x 1
  6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I'm guessing there are few supermarkets where Bob On is - in the mountains of Central Asia !

7. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    Triumph use Castrol for the T Bird. Alternatively Halford Blue works. What are you riding? If it's modern I'd go with the Castrol

8. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Just re-igniting this coolant thread.
    My Triumph dealer recommend the Castrol Motorbike Coolant (Blue) do I have to use the dedicated 'motorbike' coolant or can I use normal stuff from Halfords (branded or otherwise). The only thing I see as being different is the price!

I will be doing a full coolant flush including several rinse throughs so it will be all new stuff.

9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    As far as I'm concerned it's just an engine - car, bike, whatever they all need cooling and usually the coolant fluid is described as 50% water: 50% coolant. However a lot of the stuff you buy nowadays is ready-mixed, so there is no need for extra water, just pour it straight in.

For the benefit of Bob on, if you are using undiluted anti-freeze,this is how I do it:

First establish the total capacity of the cooling system in ltrs - let's say for example 6 ltrs. Make sure you have at least 3ltrs of undiluted anti-freeze in stock;

Empty out all the coolant you can get out, usually I do this by removing the bottom radiator hose and rocking the bike to and fro' to get the lot out.

Replace the bottom hose securely,now start to fill the circuit with undiluted antifreeze. In this example the total cooling system capacity is 6 ltrs, SO ONLY PUT IN 3 LTRS OF ANTI-FREEZE, then top up with plain water until the system appears full. Now run the engine for a few mins (with the rad cap off) to allow any trapped air to escape before giving a final top-up with plain water - and you're done.

10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Might be a marketing ploy but have I read that some coolants can be corrosive if not used in the correct vehicle?!

11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You're right to be cautious Crispey, but the OAT ready mixed coolant that you buy in the supermarkets is make to work with aluminium parts, often found in engines these days. The most important thing is to change it regularly.

Modern car engine manufacturers talk about 5 yr replacement cycles for coolant - that seems far too long to me, especially as I can buy ready-mixed OAT coolant for 9€ for 5ltrs. Easy job to do as well.

Oi calls it preventative maint'nance.

• Like Like x 1
  12. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I'm about to change the coolant in my speed triple, so called my dealer to ask about Triumph brand 'oat' coolant.
    The parts guy said I can use any good quality 'oat' coolant.
    So probably use Halfords brand

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    The std blue stuff you find everywhere will be fine just mix 3 to 1 with water i have never bothered with distilled in any engine.

14. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
  15. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    There are three main types of coolant, IAT, OAT, and HOAT,
    You can use any of them, as they are all broad range and are designed to be compatible with a wide range of materials like cast iron, alloys, brass, rubber etc its just some shouldn't be mixed because of the additives they contain,
    However Triumph will probably say you should only use theirs because everything else is the devils spawn and will rot your engine...much like every car manufacture.

https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/articles/engine-coolant-101-the-right-coolant-for-your-vehicle

OAT should not really be used in engines that run older soldered type rads as it will eventually corrode the solder.

16. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Don't worry about the coolant colour too much. As long as it's to the right spec.

17. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    So if I'm reading it correct
    IAT is for older vehicles
    OAT is for modern vehicles
    HOAT a mixture of both

So even though HOAT is recommend, probably because it multipurpose (saves them stocking two coolants)
    OAT is probably better for my modern bike

Also it states OAT/HOAT IS GOOD FOR 50,000 miles or 5 years, so why is the service schedule every two years. Very wasteful I think.

18. Futterman

Futterman Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2019
    Kentucky, USA
    From what I can tell through research, a suitable substitute for Triumph HD4X is a G-05 coolant.

Most important characteristics of HD4X:
    • HOAT
    • Low Silicate
    • High Nitrite
    Description of Zerex G05 on Valvoline/Zerex website:

ZEREX™ G-05™ is the automaker approved original chemistry used in newer Ford, Chrysler and Mercedes-Benz automotive and diesel engines. Its Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) chemistry combines the best of conventional and organic acid-based chemistry to provide the ultimate protection against rust and corrosion. ZEREX G-05 antifreeze/coolant uses the highest quality virgin ethylene glycol for freeze and boilover protection and a hybrid organic acid corrosion inhibitor package to protect your engines from liner pitting and corrosion.

Description from the Amazon website:
    • The formulation is designed for both gasoline and diesel engines
    • Its lower-silicate, reduced pH, phosphate free European technology protects all cooling system metals, including aluminum, from corrosion
    • ZEREX G-05 is a nitrite containing coolant designed to protect diesel engine cylinder liners from cavitation. It contains deposit control additives for protection from hard water deposits and scale
    • ZEREX G-05 contains a high quality defoamer system and will not harm hoses, plastics or original vehicle finishes

Is there a forum consensus on this subject and am I going in the right direction with G-05?

My bike is 5 years old and I'm its new owner. I have no idea when the cooling system was last serviced, if ever. So I need to get it drained and flushed in this riding season.

• Like Like x 1