Coolant loss

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by BigRob, May 7, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BigRob

BigRob New Member

May 2, 2014
    Picked up my 955 speed triple on Saturday and rode it into work on Tuesday. When I parked up I noticed a small pool of coolant forming under the left hand side of the engine. I rode the bike home slowly keeping one eye on temperature reading, reached 195 in town and 175 out of town. Checked the bike over last night and noticed that the expansion tank was low but there is plenty of coolant in the system and it doesn't appear to be contaminated. Topped the expansion tank up, started the bike and let it warm up and I got another puddle on the floor (the coolant is exiting via a small pipe near the pump). A quick search seems to suggests that the expansion tank is best checked when hot or filled to below the minimum mark when cold, is this correct or should I be worried?

2. Gimlet

Gimlet Member

Feb 11, 2014
    My 1050 Speed likes it coolant about an 1/8" below minimum. If I top it up it promptly spits it out again until its back to its favourite level. There's no point fighting it. Apparently this is very common with the 1050s. Maybe it is with 955s as well.

3. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    So, what year is your speed / street triple just to stop any confusion.....

4. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    As long as you have some coolant left in the over flow tanks it should be ok, as Gimlet says they do tend to find their own level

5. BigRob

BigRob New Member

May 2, 2014
    Registered 2003, there is some coolant in the tank, it's just below the minimum mark after the engine has cooled down. Taking it to work again today, I'll let you know how I get on.

6. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    I checked with my dealer on my 1050 when I noticed the coolant below the line in the tank after a service and they said if you fill the expansion tank any higher it just pushes it out.

7. BigRob

BigRob New Member

May 2, 2014
    Thanks for the replies, I didn't ride the bike yesterday, it was chucking it down, I'll try and get out on it at the weekend.

8. BigRob

BigRob New Member

May 2, 2014
    50 miles at the weekend and 60 miles to work yesterday and no further loss of coolant, I guess I should ignore the level marks.

• Like Like x 2