Continental Travelling

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by In my own world, Jul 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    #1 In my own world, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Being a seasoned continental rider. I just can't understand why people fly and then just sit around the pool for a week or so. My holidays start as soon as the bike key turns. Once across the puddle, i head for the N roads. May take an hour or so getting to the destination but it's worth driving through the villages, past the fields and ive found the people lovely. B&B are cheaper and if you cant find a B&B there is always cheap or free camping nearby. There's nothing to be afraid off, just cause they speak in another language. Hands signals work 99% of the time. Ive found even the non-EU countries as friendly to the solo rider. Ive never gone hungry. If you see some food just point to it. Try the local food and drink. Every part of a country serves its local dishes. One person can eat for under a tenner each day. I always stop at a Deli in the morning to buy some meat and bread and that's my afternoon lunch sorted. Go off the route you'll be amazed at what you will find.
    What am trying to say if you have never ridden abroad there is nothing to be scared of. Just a bit of forward planning. Work out what and where you want to go and do it. I always find the worse part of travelling overseas is getting to the UK port and the best bit getting off the boat or train over the channel. As long as your sensible and don't put yourself in halms way you will have a fantastic time alone with the memories that you will never forget.

In the past 30 odd years ive been travelling abroad ive only had one situation. My fault, i didn't lock my helmet to the bike. A little toe rag nicked it. I lost him in the back village lanes in Italy. A nice chap gave me a builder's hard hat so i could ride the 20 miles to a bike shop to buy another one. The funny thing was a few Police saw me riding with a bright yellow hard hat on and they didn't even blink or take any notice of me.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I agree, I've had some great biking holidays in Europe and like you say just do your planning and go do it; you will love it..

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    can't fault ya , love touring on the continent , it blows the UK out the water lol

4. Odo

Odo Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Liverpool

5. Odo

Odo Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Liverpool
    Hi, just read your post, it just happens that my son and I are about to go to Europe for the first time on motorcycles. I have been researching til my head hurts, driving laws, strange local practices etc. Your post has encouraged me to lighten up and just enjoy.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Dave, this is Dave here, a Brit that lives in France permanently.

Honestly don't fret too much about rules and regs on the continent; nobody worries too much so long as you don't behave like a prat. If you DO behave like a prat all the research and planning won't help you.

If there's any stuff I can help you with, just ask away view pm.

Dave

• Like Like x 2
  7. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Just remember the speed limits and go around the roundabouts the wrong way. Will feel strange the first day or so but you will get used to it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BRIAN BLACK

BRIAN BLACK Senior Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Elgin Moray Scotland
    I am planning to ride Spain next year just two bikes so it shouldn't be a problem pleasing both. We both have driven oversees before but never on bikes the only problem we have is the 660 miles we have to do to get to the ferry. Planning is still in the very early stages we will be looking at accommodation but will also be prepared to camp. Is there anything that any of you have overlooked when planning that could have helped before you left

9. Odo

Odo Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Liverpool
    Cheers Dave, I expect I will pick your brains, thanks. We are going via France to Switzerland and the on to Venice, Italy. If there is time after that, I would like to pass through Monaco and Nice etc then come back via the Milau bridge.
    I will post images etc on the way.
    Dave.

• Like Like x 1
  10. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The Millau bridge is just phenomenal !!! If you do get there, please do visit the reception centre where you'll see explanatory films of how the bridge was built - FASCINATING.

PS Just don't forget that France is 5-6x the size of England, so it's a big country to cross.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Odo

Odo Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Liverpool
    Yes we are hoping to limit the riding to about 5 to 6 hours a day, except the first and last days this side of the channel.
    I have done 500 miles in a day before so I know what that,s like. I had a puncture in Thirsk Scotland and lost a day as it was Sunday. I had to catch the others up and rode from Wick, around the top of the country following the NC500 to Ullerpool, then cut across to inverness and on down to Lockerby. 12 hours and 500 miles, wont be doing that again.

• Like Like x 2