America Considering Buying A America

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by harryweld, Sep 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. harryweld

harryweld Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2020
    whitehaven
    Hi Totally new to the forum.

I’m considering buying a cruiser for the first time and after looking at the various options I’ve plumed for a Triumph America. I’ve set my budget at £5000 and was surprised to see that the prices being asked for the older 790’s are very similar, and in some cases higher, than much newer 865’s with similar mileage.

Is there any particular reason that the 790’s hold their value so well? Are the 790’s that much better, is there some kudos around owning one or is it simply down to not having injection motors makes them easier to work on?

Also anything I should look for in either model, mechanical issues, desirable/non-desirable extras etc.

Thanks

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Welcome to the forum, harry weld! Good luck with you hunt for an America. When you find one, we'd love to see pics!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Welcome. The 790's are reckoned to be prettier.
    865 has more mid range torque
    Later bikes have fuel injection.
    Post 14 bikes have canbus meaning they're harder to modify.
    Best of the bunch in my humble is 07-08 with carbs and the later strengthened crankcases to avoid the worry of a starter idler gear failure.( Rare but heartbreaking if it happens)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. unclescratch

unclescratch Active Member

Dec 23, 2019
    NW Arizona
    X2 on the starter idler gear on the older 790's. TTP safe start is a good fix, though, and should be mandatory. Agree the 865 w/carbs would be my 1st choice, but a carbed 790 is what I have and it does me just fine ! I like the spoked wheels also.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The early EFI 865 motors are the easiest to tune ! tuneecu is the tool to use !
    Remove AIS and open up the air filter box and put open pipes , you can gain 6 to 8hp just Removing stuff and changing the mapping !

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. harryweld

harryweld Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2020
    whitehaven
    Thanks for the info.Not to bothered about tuning to be honest, I have a couple of other bike if I want speed. I do prefer the looks of the 790's so may go for one of those. Not in much of a rush to get one so I'll wait till the right one comes along. I'll hang around the forum and pop some pictures up if I finally get one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    #7 Judd Dredd, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    No...whilst the LT is a nice enough bike ( I owned one ) they're all canbus meaning it's hard to tune, modify or replace many parts with anything non standard.
    Having said that mine was fine but at exactly 97mph the ECU decided I was going fast enough and cut the spark to one cylinder
    I didn't enjoy that at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Biggest gain you get from removing the ais and opening up the air box More Midrange Torque !!
    This equals more tractable motor = more cruzer mode ! Hold gears longer or change up earlier, mine pulls a 170 kg trailer ! I've toured through WA and the NT last year, 11,000 klm, Perth to Darwin , camper in tow two up 17~ km/ltr !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    HarryWeld
    Welcome to the family. Yes waiting is good and the right steed will turn up in time.
    Regards
    Joe.