Congratulations To Mark Selby

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by johne, May 4, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    On a wet and windy evening last night, I got hooked on watching the snooker World final on TV. I used to be an avid fan in the days of Hendry, Davis and Co. I started watching when Ray Reardon and John Spencer were at the height of their powers but in recent years my enthusiasm has waned so I hadn't watched any of the earlier matches and only started following the event seriously as it got into the semi finals. I like watching both Sean Murphy and Mark Selby so it was great to see them knocking in century breaks towards the end of the evening, especially Sean who was valiantly trying to make up ground. Almost inevitably when Selby rolled in the final black he joined a select band of all time greats in the sport (It could be argued he was there already) but I think my interest in snooker has returned. Anyways that was a long winded way of saying congratulations to both of them for putting on some excellent entertainment and especially to Mr Selby, now a 4 time World champ.

• Like Like x 1
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I like to keep an eye on it to see whats happening. Very few players I can watch without falling asleep though :joy: Selby seems a nice lad. Was always fond of Jimmy White until I met him a few years ago. Bit of an up himself twat was the impression I was left with :( like most things, its just not the same these days. It was good craic when they all sat smoking and drinking during the match

3. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Yeh have to agree @andyc1, I lost interest as the time went by as you say jimmy White, Alex Higgins days where interesting times indeed, cant keep up with the new names on the block these days.

4. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Ah Bill Werbeniuk. From Wikipedia "Werbeniuk was noted for the copious amounts of alcohol he consumed before and during matches – at least six pints before a match and then one pint for each frame. In total, he drank between 40 and 50 pints of lager per day"

• Like Like x 1
  5. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Christ and he could still hit the ball. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Rather well, but not when he was sober.

At his peak he was ranked No 8 in the world

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea

Big Bill, sady died relatively young. As you say Gyp, a great snooker player and character. This article backs up what you've mentioned:

Top Drunks: Big Bill Werbeniuk | Modern Drunkard Magazine

• Like Like x 1