Confused? You Should Be!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Hamburg, Feb 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Is anyone else utterly bewildered by Triumphs current range of motorcycles.

The Street and Speed triples seem to make sense so do all the adventure Tigers and Explorers (although now old rehashed bikes), but the retro roadster range just baffles me. Why are there so many?

New Speed Twin
    New Scrambler 1200
    All new street twin
    Street twin
    Bonneville T100 Range
    Street cup
    All new street scrambler
    Street scrambler
    Bonneville T120 range
    Bonneville bobber
    Thruxton 1200 range
    Bonneville speedmaster

That’s 12 bikes that basically all look the same. Where’s the innovation? All Triumph seem to be focussing on at the moment is the retro hipster scene and raiding the parts bin to produce derivatives of essentially two bikes, it's a shame because 10 years ago they produced some really exciting modern bikes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    What a way to blow your brains out!

3. Samz

Samz Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 7, 2016
    York uk
    I agree.
    Once upon a time it was just the “Bonneville”, but now it has 101 derivatives.
    As you say, all looking pretty much the same but with different names and numbers.
    Very confusing. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    Well they weren’t counting on you figuring that out . Harley has been just changing letters around for 80 years and no one has been able to realize that it’s the same bike.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kin Ton Ti

Kin Ton Ti Supreme Galactic Commander

Jan 5, 2019
    Virginia
    Same with Indian. Two bikes, and a thousand variations.

If I had to guess, I'd say they're doing it purely for the U.S. market. The hipster vibe may be the only thing that carries the biker community forward, over here. Guys like me who are old, redneck, veteran, politically incorrect bikers are aging rapidly. If it takes the hipsters to keep motorcycling alive, well, I guess that's what it takes. In my opinion, Harley Davidson is finally paying the price for producing such an inferior product for so many years (I'm a former Harley owner). I have nothing against HD, they're American made and I'm proud of them, but I think their chickens have come home to roost. Maybe Triumph and Indian will fill the void. Just my two cents.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    To each his own. I really like my Street Twin. And importantly the cast wheels.
    The only bike I don't really like is the Bobber. I have some friends that say it is uncomfortable to ride. But the rest if the bikes are popular. That is why Triumph is building them. It makes them money.

Scramblers are also popular. Ducati has them too. The style just sells !!

Bike Pic.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kin Ton Ti

Kin Ton Ti Supreme Galactic Commander

Jan 5, 2019
    Virginia
    I’ve noticed that women do find the Bobber uncomfortable.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1