Compatible Carbs.....

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Gareth Jones, Jul 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gareth Jones

Gareth Jones New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    North Wales
    My old 90s Tiger 900 is fitted with Mikunis, which, are in pretty poor condition.

I decided to strip them, get them sonic cleaned, then revamp them with the super kit.....

That didn't account for the stuck jets, and general poo condition which led me to make a complete b@@@s of No.1 nearside carb.

This leaves me looking for either a nearside carb or a bank of 3 to start from scratch. At £450 each new, that is not an option....

Rocking horse sh@t springs to mind as to their availability.

Those of you with superior techno skills and knowledge.....is the carbing on the 900 Tiger the same as any other triple carb model?

Trev at the very helpful Sprint manufacturing has a set off a Speed Triple 900, but he tells me that they are not compatible.

Any ideas?

Ta

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Evil bay is your best bet, something of the same vintage as what you already have then you will need to rejet to the std for your tiger.

But its going to be expensive .......

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
  4. Gareth Jones

Gareth Jones New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    North Wales
    I am looking, but nothing around at the moment off a Tiger, that's why I wondered if any other model had the same set up....got to be cheaper than £1300 for new bits from World of triumph, plus I bet there would be another £15 postage ha.....

5. Gareth Jones

Gareth Jones New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    North Wales
  6. Gareth Jones

Gareth Jones New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    North Wales
    I have messaged them both Steve, awaiting reply, Google now in meltdown...thanks ....

• Like Like x 1
  7. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The carbs were rebuild able ? If I recall correctly , the piston and slide (tube inside) the aluminium body were removable ! Speak to Triumph directly or go to Mikuni and see ?

I know my 94 trident had this work done at 175,000 plus klms by the guy who bought it off me ! The carburetors rattle'd they were that worn in the 1/4 to 1/3 opened position (100 to 110 kph spot) cost him about 1/4 cost of new or near new carburetors.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
  9. Gareth Jones

Gareth Jones New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    North Wales

10. Gareth Jones

Gareth Jones New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    North Wales
    Number one carb is feeling sorry for itself after I ham fistedly attempted to get the pilot out. It won the battle of wills and this caused damage to the thread and part of the needle remains in the carb. Other than that it was my intention to get a super service kit from Trev at Sprint Manufacturing as the carbs are 2/3 OK. I am essentially looking out to you people for advice as to what other Mikuni carbs fit the 900 Tiger, as Tiger carbs per se are, shall we say, a little rare.....there is no reference on the carbs to identify which model they are, and I am in new territory messing with carbs.....

11. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Gareth Jones

Gareth Jones New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    North Wales
  13. Gareth Jones

Gareth Jones New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    North Wales
    Thanks Oldyam, bugger, missed that (it is very faint) I'll start googling that number.....cheers

14. Gareth Jones

Gareth Jones New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    North Wales
    Thanks all, now sussed that the Mikunis are BST 36mm with 105 jets....fitted to all early triples before they changed over to Keihin. In theory any early 36mm early Mikuni should work after a bit of adding the bits and bobs that the nearside one requires.

Now to finding one.....

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pitprop

Pitprop Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Boston lincolnshire
    Hi, I have fitted flatslide to my crk Daytona so have a set of mikuni 36s sitting on a shelf if they are any use to you. One had a seized air screw, part of the reason/ exscuse for getting the flatslide, then managed to replace it after new carbs were ordered. Worst thing being found I could buy a bank of four for my zrx11 £300 cheaper and I would only have to remove one for them to work on my daytona

16. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    The offer above sounds good! but almost any carbs of the correct size can be made to fit, i put a set of Suzuki carbs on a Z650 years ago just made up new cross spacers and a new cable linkage and it was a great setup, currently looking for a set of old 28mm slide Mikunis from an old Kawasaki triple to fit to my T160 Trident.

17. Gareth Jones

Gareth Jones New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    North Wales
    Gentlemen...thankyou for the offers and advice. I have failed to post my update. I found a carb...no float bowl or top at £80, sold as being as rare as rocking horse poo, then found a bank of 4 carbs off a yammie from a breakers in Scotland at £60....no brianer really, the carbs are a basic Mikuni, n magic there. All I have to do is strip down and match springs and attachments. In theory I will have 3 spares at £80 each, or free to needy fellow triumph owners...many thanks, Gareth

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1