675 Commuting Street Triple

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by gazzatheyid, Jul 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Hi guys,

First Post for a while.

So I've got a nice (not so well maintained by me) 2009r and have a new job and want to do a 60 mile round trip with some motorway and city use in the day.

Tried a couple of economical Honda's, didn't like them and am firm about making the most of the Triple as I'm used to the thrill!

I'm thinking (a good excuse for an upgrade!) the 2013 models with updated engine specs and ABS will be a slightly more economical (according to Triumph) and obviously safer bet with Abs assistance. Although I've now seen the 2015RX and want it NOW but I've not got much upgrade dosh and we're talking at minimum over 2k.

I've heard winter can be tough on our pride and joy as well. Mine hasn't faired great from local use (although my attempts at maintenance are poor at best) but I do get a yearly service.

Thanks for looking

2. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Thanks for the reply. Haha I understand the jealously but at least you get two cup finals every year :) :)

I suppose I'm confirming the economic benefit from my 2009r (again a good excuse if its paying a bit for itself) and yer any advice/thoughts any one has on commuting long term on the triple.

The triple seemed so easy in traffic and you've obviously got the poke to get out of trouble or put that prick that gets up your backside in his Audi A5/BMW/Shitty souped up Nova etc in his place! :mad:

I also watched some programme on city bike theft and that scared the shite out of me!! Think the newer ones have better security or am I making that up?

Cheers on the AC50, I'm using GT85 ;)

Edit: Sorry I didn't see you had an Audi A5 at first look at your profile :yum

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. ContactSC

ContactSC Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    I did a 75-mile commute each way on my Striple 765R for about a year and a half. It was great, despite over half being on big A roads and the rest twisties/moors. One thing I'd recommend though is to get heated grips, at the end of the commute on a few occasions my hands were frozen, quite literally, and took about 30 mins before feeling returned. Funnily enough, I felt it was much easier than when I did the same commute on my Tracer 700, despite that having a fairing, heated grips, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  4. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Thanks I've got some grips probably get them fitted soon. Thanks for reminding me.

I'm now seeing for potentially 3-4k I could jump to the 765s. How did it hold up in the winter against corrosion and general wear and tear? Corrosion seems to have set in easily on mine in comparison to the Honda's (or so my neighbour tells me looking at my 675!)

5. ContactSC

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    That's an interesting question. Bike held up well against general wear and tear and I did the whole ACF-50 treatment before hand (twice now) but a few spots of rust here and there near the rear sets, which pissed me off a bit.

Biggest issue was the stock tyres when cold - coming over the moors I've had a few interesting full-on squirms, not thrashing it or owt, but that put the frighteners on me a bit. Just changing the Rossos tomorrow, in fact, for Roadtec 01s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    I'm going to convert to ACF-50 having heard this is a better product then GT85 (although it seems to have protected my cycles well).

Did you switch the modes much on your commute? I'm gutted the S has the naff dash (in comparison) and only two modes. Not that I've have much of a clue what I was doing but Road and Sport seems straight forward.

I'm also due the dreaded 12k service soon but only one dealer I spoke to picked up on this when I was looking at an upgrade (using that as a bartering tool) and yes it was a Triumph dealership (sure this has minimal cost to them)!

7. ContactSC

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    I've been riding most of my loooong life but, honestly, I don't think the riding modes matter much at all. You can certainly tell the difference but even in regular road mode, the 765R if lightning. I never switched it during the commute tho, unless it was dry then really started to chuck it down (or vice versa). I wouldn't feel bad about the dash if I were you. The TFT is nice to have but honestly, if it shows the info you need (speed/ revs/ gear/ fuel level) then who cares?

Don't know enough about your bike but 3-4k seems like a lot for an upgrade...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Thanks, all the reviews point to the handling as the main upgrade even if its not as hooligan as the original.

Mine is very average condition with minor signs of corrosion although the tank is clean. 12k service is due soon as well.

Thanks for your help I think I'll open a new thread (if admin are ok) to get a valuation and peoples opinion on a deal.

9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Keep what youve got and buy a winter hack for a grand??

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Haha a small no large party of me would die riding something else. Good thinking though but I want an upgrade for some joy out of the long commute.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Haha a small no large party of me would die riding something else. Good thinking though but I want an upgrade for some joy out of the long commute.

12. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    This somehow registered in my mind and now being the proud owner of a 765R (when it's ready anyway) I don't want it wrecked in winter.

Will be looking at some winter hacks come October I think. Fancy a Hornet if I get one a,s you say for around a ton.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NGreenSxrambler

NGreenSxrambler New Member

Nov 15, 2019
    Austin, TX
    I took this bad boy out for a few days and rode about 65 miles each way in AZ around winter time frame and the heated grips would definitely help so much! The ride was amazing and the bike handled beautifully. I was used to riding cruisers and the clutch/ weight just became such a hassle while in traffic. The posture was not too aggressive which allowed me to really adjust if necessary and sink in for comfort.

Nick

IMG_2481.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  14. mark scarrott

mark scarrott Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2015
    burntwood
    Hi

I had the RX and loved it till it got stolen.

Only down side is if you want to add a rack of any description to carry bags etc nobody makes one for the RX. :mad:
    You are better to look at the "R".
    You have space under the seat for disc lock and chain which is what I do.

Mark

• Like Like x 1