Common Sense

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tappers, Apr 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tappers

tappers Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    west sussex.UK
    as the weather has improved,i've been out on the thruxton more than usual over the past few day's, my local place to pop in 4 a cuppa is whiteway's (bury hill) i was amazed at the amount of rider's/pillion's wearing clothing more suitable for the beach.there was one young girl (pretty little thing)sat on the back of a sports bike,wearing leggings,boob tube, trainers & a full face crash helmet, he had full leathers, gloves,boots,full face crash hemet.it horrifies me to see this, a good pal of mine was taken out by a car driver 15 months ago, he was wearing the correct gear, he looked like he had done 10 round's with mike tyson.i do understand it's uncomfortable wearing the right gear when it's hot weather, rather them than me.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    In general, I think being young and having good common sense on such matters are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Most of us have to admit that in our early years we thought we were invincible. It's certainly not a new phenomena, but today's youth take it to an extreme. I mostly blame social media where they can see each other dangling their girlfriends from radio towers and tall buildings, or falling out of the sky in wing suits as they go in, and around, thousands of objects that want to kill them. I saw a wing suit video yesterday where they memorialized about 6 people that died at 25 to 30 years old while showing others that were flying. It's 'cool' to risk your life today. It's also a shame that they have no concept of just how painful 20 broken bones and a severe case of road rash will be when their day comes - if they are lucky enough to live. The best argument for the 'pretty little thing' would probably be that she won't be the pretty little thing after an accident. IMHO the real blame is on the driver. You can't care for someone and let them ride like that. You just want to show them off.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    After crashing & sliding for what seemed like miles so years back, I had Frank Thomas leathers on but seam gave up a bit too soon, as I had gravel painstakingly removed from my thigh in A&E & contemplated that in future I would only wear the highest quality leathers that I could afford.
    God only knows what sort of state I would have been in had I had shorts on like some of these people ride in!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    It's not that long ago that a friend of mine picked up the pieces after someone binned it heading up Bury Hill too fast. My outlaws live just the other side of Arundel, and my Grandfather lived in Slindon for a fair few years so I know that neck of the woods reasonably well.

I went out wearing normal trousers once on a short trip, and felt so aware of how vulnerable I was, I decided then and there not to do that again! The only way they'll be educated is by witnessing someone else's misfortune, or through personal tragedy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    ATGATT no matter how hot it is.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    It is only with experience do you learn that wearing the right protective clothing is the most sensible way to ride. The young do not think about the risks in the same way as more expeirienced riders do. I agree with GaleForce on the odd time I have not worn the correct clothing I definitley felt vulnerable......
    Wessa..

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Baben

Baben Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Watton
    As I get older I am more conscious that my time on planet Earth is pretty limited anyway so I want to minimise the chances of leaving earlier than I have to.
    Touring in France a few years ago and the girlfriend decided it was too hot for leathers and refused to wear them, shorts and t shirt only. I was furious but had to accept that that was what she wanted to do. Made me extra careful with my riding though. The relationship did not last.

• Like Like x 1