675 Clutch

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Dave Teece, Mar 27, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Teece

Dave Teece Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Any of you chaps, or chapesses, had noisy clutch issues. Bike rides okay, no slipping or snatching. Pull in the lever and it quietens down, I'm thinking release bearing rattling when there is no load - not holding the pressure plates off.

2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    How many miles and what sort of use has it had?
    Most bikes clutch basket fingers can get worn so allowing the plates to rattle on idle in neutral.
    If it clears ok for neutral finding and doesn't slip in the higher gears then I wouldn't worry.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dave Teece

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Hi, Eldon. Around 25,000 miles and average usage, I'm no hooligan. Thanks for the opinion.

4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    With that use, and regular oil changes, there should be no need to worry ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Dave Teece

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Eldon, slow reply, sorry.
    Oil and filter change have made a difference, something to note for the future.

6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    The only bike I have consciously noted an oil change made a difference to the clutch, and once you got to know it in depth it actually indicated an oil change was needed, was a Montesa 315 from 1999. The clutch had some paper plates ( no not the picnic dinner variety) and it would groan and grumble and become snatchy.

So yes oil affecting the clutch operation is a known phenomena but regular changes, say 3000 miles, shouldn't make this issue apparent unless of course abuse is involved.

7. Dave Teece

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Morning. Thanks again for your input. Last time it was serviced was at my local dealer, I'll check the mileage but don't believe it will be over three and nowhere near the six thousand miles.

8. MightyBoosh

MightyBoosh Member

Mar 29, 2023
    Uk
    I started using Silkolene Super 4 semi synth some years ago, and it improved the gearchanging on every bike l had. Bikes went for miles, no problems. Decent price too. 32.50 from Sportsbike shop, free delivery.

9. Dave Teece

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Thanks, Boosh.