765 Clutch Slipping

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by StreetRS1981, Jan 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. StreetRS1981

StreetRS1981 Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2018
    Wiltshire
    Happy New Year all!!!

Took the RS out for a spin over Christmas, unfortunately, a new issue seems to have reared its head - shifting from 4th up into 5th in the red range of the revs - resulted in what I can only believe is the clutch slipping! Had it many moons ago on my R1, so basing the diagnosis on that - a jump in revs, but no corresponding increase in speed!

I checked the free play when I got home and it is within the range of 2-3 mm (even on lock), but I did notice that after pulling the clutch in and letting it out - the gap remains. The only way the lever returns into the housing fully, is if I just dump the lever and let it snap back.

I undid the bolt and worked the lever out of the housing, finding that the bolt had a bit of surface rust, and the collar it sits in also had a bit of rust on it - I cleaned up both and the housing (full of old black grease), and applied new general grease; but the lever still doesn't return to the housing fully.

I'll probably not ride it again until the new season, maybe sooner, if this mild winter keeps up - have heated grips to fit soon - any thoughts on getting this lever to fully close the free play gap, or an alternative lube to use?

Many thanks chaps.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Try looking at the other end of the cable.....the ‘actual’ clutch actuator and for smooth cable operation.

• Like Like x 1