Clutch Slipping 1969 Tr6r

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Mike Thibodeaux, Feb 16, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mike Thibodeaux

Mike Thibodeaux New Member

Jan 30, 2021
    Br La
    Recently bought 1969 TR6r have issues with clutch slipping any suggestions?

2. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Check the clutch cable tension is correct or repair the clutch...

Welcome btw :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iron

Iron Guest

Yep, welcome and agree with Cyborg.
    There's not really much that causes slippage - not enough free play, worn/not adjusted clutch springs, worn friction plates. Have a dive in :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    A simple test to do is slacken cable at bars, remove primary bung and adjust the push rod clearance first ( loosen nut and tighten screw until it binds on end of rod, turn out 1/4 to 1/2 turn and lock nut) and then take up the slack at the lever so you have 3/16 play. If it still slips remove primary cover for further investigation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Yeah, do whatever he said...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    What Darkman says is very good advice and I concur, however the first and most straightforward thing would be to check the oil level in the primary case, it may be the previous owner has put the incorrect oil in, and possibly overfilled it, the purpose of the oil is to lubricate the chain and not the clutch. If it is the oil that's responsible then correct this and provided the clutch material is not heavily contaminated it should be ok, if not the clutch will have to be stripped, de contaminated and re assembled. If you want a clutch that is one finger operation and easy to maintain then consider either an uprated CNC machined one, or belt drive, whilst not cheap they are an excellent investment, especially if you intend keeping the machine long term. The picture below shows an uprated clutch I replaced on a Triumph T100, supplied by SRM

IMG_0413.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    on the 1969 the primary doesn't share oil with the motor. but if the PO has put a modern engine oil into the primary, the clutch will slip. modern stuff like SN or later specs contain friction modifiers that make the oil so slippery your clutch will have poor grip no matter how well you adjust it.

bike shops will carry oils marked "safe for wet clutches," or just use any SG or SH oil.

if it's modern oil that's the problem, you can just drain it out completely and refill with the earlier spec. i've done it and after a a day or two the clutch doesn't slip any more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Iron

Iron Guest

So, did ya fix it? What was it? What did you try? What did you find? Is it still slipping? Pfffft....

• Like Like x 3
  9. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Also has it got original cork friction material or have they been replaced with synthetic as this will also have an impact on oil used.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I meant to say in my original post that I used ATF fluid in the primary chaincase, it was an old boy (well older than me, and I am ancient) from the TOMCC that suggested this to me, It worked well and that's all I ever used in the primary case from then onwards, it never leaked a drop either, nor the engine after the rebuild.

11. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    type F automatic transmission fluid is an old recommendation for primaries with a wet clutch. i've got some in a norton. if that's what's in there now and the level is within reason then the fluid shouldn't be the cause of the slipping.