Clutch Slip 07 955i

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by noddy6560, Jan 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. noddy6560

noddy6560 New Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Keith, Morayshire
    Hi guys looking for advice. I have an 07 tiger 955i. 14,500 miles on the clock. I have only done 2 things to it since i got it 3 months ago. I replaced the brake an clutch levers for adjustable levers as i found the reach of the originals too long. Yesterday i adjusted the chain now the clutch is slipping but it seems this has only just started since i tightened the chain. I wouldn`t be needing a clutch replacement with only 14,500 miles already would i?. The clutch bite is set at about half way out. Regards for any info. noddy, Morayshire, Scotland.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The basic rule of thumb is to have minimal lever movement before you meet spring resistance. In effect, you want just enough to be assured you are allowing full spring action to clamp the plates so as NOT to induce clutch slip.

So, can you move the lever very,very slightly before having to overcome clutch spring resistance?

• Like Like x 1
  3. noddy6560

noddy6560 New Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Keith, Morayshire
    No i have no movement on the lever at all. I don`t think it needs much adjustment as the bike behaves very well until i accelerate had then there is a wee slip from between 4,000rpm and 6,000rpm then it sort of catches then accelerates normally

4. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    The clutch could be worn depending on how hard the bike was ridden before you had it. There is no 'rule of thumb' on how long a clutch will last. Adjust the clutch pull to spec. Also, what type of oil do you run? Is it a motorcycle specific oil? If you use normal automotive oil with friction modifiers it can cause the clutch to slip. Use an oil that meets the specs in the owners manual.