Clutch Or Gearbox Fault? (1996 900 Sprint Sport)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Big Sandy, May 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Had a run out this morning, all fine on the way out, 20 miles, coming home though I'm finding first gear is difficult to engage. Single track roads, and passing places...

Arrive home, park up... Helmet off, shed door open, start engine, first gear goes in with a bone shattering crunch...Second is the same. Yet once in second, you can drop into first with no issues.

Engine off, gearbox will not engage first or go into second. Stuck in neutral. Will only engage with engine running, again with that crunch.

What's your opinion? New clutch? Or gearbox to bits.... :(. I wondered about just bleeding the hydraulics to start with.

There's no creep in gear with the clutch engaged, though if in neutral and not in gear the rear wheel will move, which I guess is sympathetic vibration at work.

Colour me fed up, actually.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Checked your gear lever?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Thanks @Dozers Dad that's reassuring! New oil it is then. Think I'll bleed the clutch hydraulics as well while I'm at it. Th

What got me bothered was I always thought how nicely it went in first compared to the Kawasaki's I've had.. First on them always felt like it was breaking teeth, always.

Gear lever... What am I looking for @Sprinter? There is some play at the lever itself, its a bit wobbly, it had a over long old bolt and a bit of hose on it at the shifter end when I got it, it now has a proper rubber boot. But up to now, no issues... The connecting rod is firm, locknuts are tight, boots intact.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I have heard on here of gear levers becoming slack and causing shifting issues

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    It's certainly got a bit of play going on, the actual lever itself, that your foot works. The opposite/gearbox end of the ball jointed connector seems firm enough though. Far as I can tell anyway.

Something to inspect though. Thanks for the pointer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Just checked the gear linkages (supposed to be working... Shhhh) and yes, there's a fair bit of play in the shifter lever, but the gearbox end (at the other end of the connecting rod) is good and firm, no free play.

Is it worth swapping out the lever as well, do you think? Assuming I can find one. Maybe re-bushing the original....

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Fresh oil and filter on the way... As long as I don't find toothy bits in the old oil... :) the old oil isn't dirty, still golden, but will start there. Cheapest option first :)

I did find the dipstick/filler difficult to remove when hot. Is that normal?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    An interesting evening... To remove the footpeg to get at the gear lever, you have to undo two bolts... One is easy, 10mm, at the top of the bracket that holds the footpeg. One at the bottom, behind the rod between the gear lever and gearbox. That's 12 or 13 mm, and is one of those bolts that has everything built round it. It's very oily cos of the chain, so not rusted... Threadlock on it though.

So, with both bolts removed the Allen bolt holding the footpeg and gearshifter is accessible. Stripped this all down, cleaned all the crud off, and greased everything up. It feels a bit less wobbly now.

Refitting is reverse of removal, with the exception of using new bolts (M8) and new locking nuts, plus a washer for luck, and also thread lock, both on the bolt at the bottom, and the Allen bolt in the footpeg. Greased the bolt at the top of the bracket as the end was rusty, despite being near the chain.

Goes into first a bit easier... But will still change the oil before riding again.

Thanks for the help and advice so far :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I would have changed the bush type bearing too while there, dont cost a lot.
    Have you checked fluid level in the handlebar cylinder and/or bled the clutch? Also are the levers standard, i recently went back to standard after few small issues with cheap adjustable ones

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    There's a bush? There was nothing.... This could explain its wobbling... Yet it was a snug fit. Off to have a look at the parts list. It'll be easier to take off now!

Will be bleeding the system soon. Handles are original too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Aha. Part number... PFKL1184895. That's now on order. Going to look for some other bits and pieces to make it worth the cost of carriage.

Should have looked at that parts list first, huh? D'oh.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Lol. Been there done it, that's how I knew mate. Hope it works for ya.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I'll report back once I've got the bits, done the oils etc... Let y'all know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    The engine oil used can have a bearing on clutch/gearbox performance. My Trident hates Shell Ultra fully synthetic. But Halfords own brand fully synth seems to suit it just fine. Currently using Motul 5100 10w-40 semi-synth which has rejuvinated it after using Shell! 5ltrs for £31.95 at Sportsbikeshop if you're interested.
    Clutch can be a bit sticky if left unused for a while but usually disappears with use (the stickiness not the clutch, silly!) - well mine did, but I had been using Shell oil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I bought Castrol Power 1 4T 10W40.... Can always change it again... :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Thanks for that :) it was on offer too, £29 instead of £38 (though that's not why I bought it, but it helps!)

I'll make a note of the recommendation for the silkolene... I know that's good stuffs too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  18. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
  19. Arudge

Arudge Member

Apr 3, 2019
    Cradley Heath
    [QUOTE="Big Sandy, post: 301072, Think I'll bleed the clutch hydraulics as well while I'm at it.

[/QUOTE]
    This sounds like clutch hydraulics to me, clutch basket not opening enough because of air in the slave.

Engine oil does make a big difference though, but I've also had issues with my clutch slave.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Cheers @Arudge that's on the agenda this weekend. (well hopefully, got to be in about three different places all week, weekend looks good so far) hopefully all the stuff I ordered will be here by then. Oh the vagaries of the postal service.

• Like Like x 1