765 Clutch Engagement

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Saturnutz, Jun 21, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Saturnutz

Saturnutz New Member

Oct 28, 2020
    Netherlands
    Just got back from my first 10.000km service for my Street Triple.

only difference i’m noticing is that the clutch engagement point is way later now. I need to release the clutch almost fully in order to find the engagement point.

earlier the engagement point was way sooner, the clutch had way more travel.

is there any way to adjust this?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi if your clutch was engaging as early as you say before the service it sounds like there was not enough free play, it sounds about right now from your description. You can adjust the free play, look in your handbook for the free play specification, there is an adjustment ring on the lever (turn in for more free play and out for less) also 1 locknut and 1 adjuster at the clutch casing (same procedure as the one at the clutch lever), it's a few minutes of a job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Isn’t this just a matter of spinning the little wheel on the lever to get the lever where you want it? I don’t have a street triple but I thought the levers were all adjustable these days? Maybe the tech guy/gal moved it during the service.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Yes all the Street Triples have an adjustment at the lever, however the design alters model to model, some have the adjustment ring as I mentioned, other models have a more sophisticated adjustment i.e. the Street Triple 765 RS (you can even adjust the front brake pressure at the brake lever. All the Street Triples have adjustment on the casing of the clutch cover, it is essential to follow the correct procedure, yes you can make fine adjustments at the lever, however to obtain the correct free play you need to do it in sequence, Speed Triples are the same as are other models.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Superslomo

Superslomo New Member

May 4, 2021
    SC
    And the 4-position wheel does not actually adjust the clutch cable free play but it changes the reach to the lever. Same for the front brake, it doesn't alter the MC, just the reach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Superslomo, what you say is incorrect, I have attached 3 photos from my machine that clearly show what I had explained. P1 shows the clutch lever with both the reach adjustment and free play adjustment. P2 shows the front brake lever with both the adjuster for reach and one for altering pressure feel (harder setting for track days) and P3 shows the clutch adjuster at the case. Hope this makes things a little clearer. Ride safe all.

STRS Clutch lever.jpg

STRS Brake Lever.jpg

STRS Clutch Adustment.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Superslomo

Superslomo New Member

May 4, 2021
    SC
    Thanks. That is an interesting "4-position" adjuster in the photo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    #8 Iceman, Aug 26, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Hi Superslomo, the picture shown is not unfortunately a 4 position lever, it's a little more sophisticated than that. I have attached photographs showing a 4 position clutch lever (a standard one and an upgrade one, both Triumph), I have also attached a picture showing an aftermarket 6 position clutch lever, however not the 765 variant. I have also attached the correct procedure taken from the official Triumph handbook. I certainly do not wish to be pedantic, however I was offering some assistance to a fellow forum member who originally put the post on, the information I gave initially is correct and hope our friend from the Netherlands has not been to confused.

4 position clutch lever.jpg

Street Triple 765 Clutch Adjustment.jpg

Street Triple 765 Span Adjustment.jpg

Street Triple 765rs Span And Ratio Adjustment.jpg

Triumph 4 position clutch lever.jpg

6 position clutch lever.jpg