Clutch Casing Replacement Now Bike Won’t Start

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Simon Morris, Apr 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Simon Morris

Simon Morris Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Wales
    Hello

Bike is 2014 triumph scrambler T100

Wanting to learn more about taking care of my bike myself, I have just removed the clutch casing to have it repainted after scratching it up on an old Roman road. I didn’t remove the clutch or the gears, just disconnected clutch cable. Drained oil. Replaced case gasget. All locating pins are in the crank casing. The case bolts torqued to 10nm. Replaced oil. Connected clutch cable. Bike will power up. All lights come on but just clicks when I hit the starter with the clutch engaged and bike in neutral

I didn’t touch anything electrical because I don’t know what I am doing yet. Just followed manual. Could the cause be something to do with the clutch not registering that it is engaged?? I can move through the gears okay far as I can tell

Any help greatly appreciated.

Si

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I would suspect your battery has lost charge. The click is the starter solenoid but the ECU it say ‘not enough juice’.
    A 2014 battery could be on its last legs.....

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Side stand?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

If you’ve got a battery optimiser stick that on until you’ve got 12.6v in the battery and chances are your bike will start

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Dont use some cheap charger, cos they charge to fast and strong, and break the battery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Simon Morris

Simon Morris Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Wales
    Yep charged it up. Still nothing. I have a trickle charger I plug in all the time.. it was very low but have charged overnight and still just clicks

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Ok, but not of itself conclusive. Your battery could well be goosed. Try jumping it off a car battery (not running)
    If it starts you have narrowed it down to the battery. If it doesn’t I would swap out the cheap, generic relay itself.

8. Simon Morris

Simon Morris Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Wales
    Hmmm. There’s a sensor on the stand?. Pretty sure I have started it with the stand down but now that’s nagging at me so I will go and try it

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    As long as it is in neutral, clutch and sidestand switches do not come into play.

10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The kill switch is the embarrassing one!

11. Simon Morris

Simon Morris Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Wales
    Ok, so you don’t think it could be anything relating to that clutch pushrod? That fell out during repaint. Painter gave it back to me and I put in correct way around but I didn’t check it’s movement. If that is not moving for some reason would that stop the clutch engaging and thus the engine to not turn over? I knew there was a reason why I never did this stuff myself lol.

12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Is there a managment light on?
    Isnt there a crank position sensor in there?

13. Simon Morris

Simon Morris Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Wales
    Ok, so you don’t think it could be anything relating to that clutch pushrod? That fell out during repaint. Painter gave it back to me and I put in correct way around but I didn’t check it’s movement. If that is not moving for some reason would that stop the clutch engaging and thus the engine to not turn over? I knew there was a reason why I never did this stuff myself lol.
    Ha! I checked that. It’s in the run position

14. Simon Morris

Simon Morris Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Wales
    After bike powers up the engine and oil lights are on. I think they are normally on until bike starts aren’t they?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    That wont cause a problem till it was running, and you couldnt change gear.

16. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    My money is on the 4 year old battery being past it. From what I've read on here the voltage is critical and if it's not been on a trickle charger and has run down it may be beyond the point of recovery. So many posts on here about the same, or similar non starting issues, have been solved with a new, fully charged battery.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Simon Morris

Simon Morris Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Wales
    Well the neutral light is on and the bike rolls, so it’s in neutral

18. Simon Morris

Simon Morris Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Wales
    Fair enough but it started first push with no struggle on the day I took it apart and it has only been a week

19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Clutch lever cut off?

20. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The clutch switch is on the handlebar inside the lever mechanism. It would work even if the clutch didn’t! The neutral switch is on the sump and operated by the selector rod twisting and making/breaking contact. It only operates the green light.

EVERYTHING so far points at the battery.

• Agree Agree x 2