Clutch Cable Battery Disconnect?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by DanielB, May 3, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Hiya, just curious...in the Tiger 1050 service manual, to adjust the clutch cable free-play it advises to first off disconnect the battery (positive) before you start...

why is that? Why do you need to disconnect the battery to play with the clutch cable?

upload_2022-5-3_15-43-39.png

• Like Like x 1
  2. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Triumph nearly always seem to require the battery to be disconnected before maintenance is carried out. This makes no sense to me unless it involves electrics and messing with connectors. I cannot understand why it would be necessary when adjusting the clutch cable? :confused:

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    That's what I thought too @TRIPLE X . In fact, I pulled over on my commute just now to dial in the clutch a little...I didn't disconnect the battery!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Those instructions seem to be talking about 'removal' of the clutch cable. Presumably it goes under some headstock clamp along with the wiring loom (it does on my Speedmaster) so that's probably why they talk about disconnecting battery. But that's OTT and I certainly didn't even contemplate doing that when replacing the cable.

I've noticed Triumph instructions always seem to tell you to disconnect and dismantle half the bike for any job.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    That's so they can charge you those crazy prices for servicing etc

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thanks all.

Clutch all adjusted, at both the selector end and also the leaver end... not a disconnected battery in sight!

• Like Like x 3