Clutch Adjustment (slipping And Lost Neural

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Boggie, Jun 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Boggie

Boggie New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Hi all,

When my T140 Bonnie is warm, it is next to impossible to get neutral with the engine running but easy with the motor off. I have been researching and read that this might be a clutch adjustment. Also, under full throttle at higher speeds the clutch does slip a little but it is a relatively new and uprated clutch to suit the higher power or the bike.

So, it definitely needs some adjustment. Any words of advice and tips on the best way to do this please?

Cheers, Ian

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Make sure you’ve got a couple of mm free play at the lever end ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Has it been like this since the clutch was changed? Was it just plates changed or springs too?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    It will likely be that the spring tension is uneven and causing drag and slip, it often happens on those types of clutches as the friction plates bed in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Boggie.
    What I do with my bonnie. Is the clutch spring screws screw all of them in till they level up with the pressure plate with your adjuster nut loose then adjust the centre adjuster nut till it is a snug fit not tight. Go around the spring tension screws turning them out till you get a nice even gap all around the pressure plate and first plate about two though or so keeping your adjuster screw just touching and the cable right and you should get a good performing clutch as you say it is all new. You may then need to do it again in about 1000 miles as if it is new it needs to bed in. Keep us all in the picture as how you get on.
    Regards
    Joe.

6. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    To add to Joe's comments i always disengage the clutch and spin on the kickstart and watch the cover and plates spin and make sure they are not running out as that is what can cause the drag and slip...there wont always be an even gap when static but it will be when disengaged and this is the important bit and will stop the drag and slip syndrome.